Loud turbo whistle inside cab. WTF?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawright

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some help. Been trying to get to the bottom of the loud turbo whistle sound that I'm getting inside the cab. Just after the turbo starts spooling up it starts. It sort of sounds like it is coming from behind the dash. When you really give it some it can get pretty loud. I have changed the hoses from the turbo thinking it might be a split, but that hasn't fixed it. Getting the new exhaust from Suncoast has made it a bit better, but it is still there. Anyone have any idea's on what it could be?

Check out this link, it is a vid from inside the car when it starts making the sound I'm talking about.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYI177CT-mI[/YT]

got a boost guage? if so split in hose?

otherwise i would suspect egr pipe. its right behind the motor right next to firewall.

Hey guys, looking for some help. Been trying to get to the bottom of the loud turbo whistle sound that I'm getting inside the cab. Just after the turbo starts spooling up it starts. It sort of sounds like it is coming from behind the dash. When you really give it some it can get pretty loud. I have changed the hoses from the turbo thinking it might be a split, but that hasn't fixed it. Getting the new exhaust from Suncoast has made it a bit better, but it is still there. Anyone have any idea's on what it could be?

Check out this link, it is a vid from inside the car when it starts making the sound I'm talking about.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYI177CT-mI[/YT]

Not sure if you've fixed it yet 'lawright' but while back I used to drive a Suzuki Swift that did the same thing. Turned out to be the speedo cable. Not too sure of the exact sound you got but might be worth a look. Dashes are a pain in the ass though ha.
Best of luck

got a boost guage? if so split in hose?

otherwise i would suspect egr pipe. its right behind the motor right next to firewall.

Nah, don't have a boost gauge. Checked the egr pipe out and that one is fine. Anyone else got any ideas on what the problem might be?

do you have a dump pipe fitted?
also i noticed the fan and aircon are on, does it do it when they are off ?

do you have a dump pipe fitted?
also i noticed the fan and aircon are on, does it do it when they are off ?

Yeah I have a dump pipe but it was doing it before I got that put in. It does it even when the aircon is off. It's got me bloody buggered. I will try get another vid that will show the sound more.

hard to tell from a vid.......but they do have a turbo whistle in stock form. dump pipe makes it a fair bit more noticeable.

hard to tell from a vid.......but they do have a turbo whistle in stock form. dump pipe makes it a fair bit more noticeable.

Yeah it never used to be real loud. It got real loud when we were up the beach last time. While we were driving it sort of just spooled up and then "ppssshhhh" it started and hasn't stopped since. It more sounds like a rush of air coming from behind the dash, then you can hear the actual turbo whistle in the background

Sounds more likema turbo piping joints have a crack in them. Put spray and wipe on them and rev it up

pull the intake hoses off and clean them before putting back on. oil from the breather can get inbetween hose/tube and makes them more prone to leaking.

wastegate might be stuck open? check the mechanical actualtor is working then take the dump pipe off and look at the back of the turbo if you can. If the turbo bearings are failing they tend to make a different noise....

Got me fucked. I would say check and vacuum/boost lines that go from the inlet manifold into the cab but because most of the time its boost pressure the heating and aircon system doesnt work like that i dont think.
Guess you just goto check any lines that come off your inlet side cause its the only place you would get boost pressure other than the exhaust but it would be way louder if exhaust and you'd know it.

Got me fucked. I would say check and vacuum/boost lines that go from the inlet manifold into the cab but because most of the time its boost pressure the heating and aircon system doesnt work like that i dont think.
Guess you just goto check any lines that come off your inlet side cause its the only place you would get boost pressure other than the exhaust but it would be way louder if exhaust and you'd know it.

Cheers for the help mate. Will keep hunting around until I get to the bottom of it.... feeling a bit like friggin Sherlock Holmes now!

i've just started getting the same problem.. sound like all the pressure of the boost is lost its gushing air out that fast. i have also check the egr pip and all my hoses... it gets really loud ..and i dont know where else to look...

i've just started getting the same problem.. sound like all the pressure of the boost is lost its gushing air out that fast. i have also check the egr pip and all my hoses... it gets really loud ..and i dont know where else to look...

nvm i fucked up.. little hole i found was on under the clamps between turbo and intake where the clamp had worn through.. i shoulda had a womens look
:banghead:

Latest posts

Back