Loud turbo whistle inside cab. WTF?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hiya lawright, you got your noise problem sorted?, i couldnt quite tell what type of noise it was either but a while back i was getting a induction noise every time i was accelerating, ended up being the pipe that connects too the airbox from theleft hand guard wasnt sealing properly, eneded up puttinga bit of ribber in and silastic around the outside too help seal it

Don't know if the noise has been sorted out for you yet? Had a customer awhile back with a similar problem- the insides of the Cat below the turbo had been damaged to the point that it was almost not there & the noise was resonating back into the cab at full noise.

i think i know the kinda sound you are talking about minus the hissing behind the dash. I disconnected the rear muffler today to measure the gap between flanges as to weld up a straight through piece of pipe. Naturally enough i took it for a run with it disconnected and when i was hitting about 3 grand revs this loud whistle started bellowing out the car. Just assumed it was because the muffler was disconnected. Didn't have a chance to hook it back up this afternoon but i'll hook it back up tomorrow and hopefully it will go. Did you end up finding the problem?

i would be checking the pipe from the airfilter to the turbo.. since ive tried opening the airfilterbox while the engine is running and there, whistles loud when you pedal and whooosshh when you remove your foot from the gas..

^ What he said.

A dumb arse exhaust fitter left mine done up finger tight the other day. Grrrr.

dont know if it is the same probablem but mine developed a very loud turbo noise. got fixed under warranty it was something to do with egr valve.

Mine whistled like a biatch when the tubing from the turbo to the boost gauge popped off

My Nav has been whistling for a while now, So yesterday pull the entire inlet apart. I beleave my cause was from the snokel, where the inner guard passes through to the engine bay, that is where there are dirt marks anyway. So firtst thing this morning went to bunnings and picked up a tube of sikaflex -255 and sealed it all back together. hopfully fix the problem.

on mine it made the same noise and one of the bolts that hold the compressor backing plate to the turbo core had fallen out, 6 months later going through the nissan warranty bin i found 3 turbos all missing the same bolt.

on mine it made the same noise and one of the bolts that hold the compressor backing plate to the turbo core had fallen out, 6 months later going through the nissan warranty bin i found 3 turbos all missing the same bolt.

Where is the backing plate exactly? I still haven't been able to work out the sound! Still driving me nuts!

Never mind my last post. I misread. And yes, bottom left bolt was gone and the top left was finger tight. Off to buy 4 new ones just in case. It should be fine to throw some locktite on those right?

Alright! That sound has finally been fixed after a good few months of dicking around, then forgetting about it for a bit, then dicking around some more! I missing bolt and one loose one. If anyone finds themselves in the boat... CHECK THOSE BOLTS ON THE TURBO 1ST!

Also, it is pretty fiddly getting an allen key in there to get them in/out, so I changed all of mine for high tensile hex heads. It is heaps easier getting a spanner in there.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Only happens on boost... Might be turbo cause all bolts are tight as

Hoping it's not turbo but if it is another turbo goes straight on and intercooler the same
Day!
I thin it sounds like loose bolts. But after having the heatsheild of and screwing around for half an hour I'm running late for beers so the Nav can wait til tomorrow. I'll head inti the workshop tomorrow an have a better look. :)

Latest posts

Back