Lost Power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juz

Reaction score
Losing Power Please help

Hi guys, I have recently got myself a new 2014 Navara d40 titanium edition turbo diesel and I have only done about 4700km. Am really happy with it but on the way going up the m1 yesterday it lost power while I had it in cruise control. Even when going back down gears just dropped in speed and on the fuel comp it was say it was using about 10Lt out of 30Lt on the display on the left and wouldn't go any higher even with my foot to the floor and in fourth gear. So when I pulled over I turn it off and start it back up again and was back to normal until this afternoon when coming back down the m1 it done it again. Can anybody please help me out in what this problem is and is it a common one before I ring Nissan tomorrow.

Thanks, Justin

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a typical SCV fault. The Suction Control Valve on the fuel pump gets dirty (or damaged/worn, but often just dirty) and when you apply full throttle the car goes into limp mode without any check-engine-light (CEL). Turning the car off and on again fixes it, loosening the fuel cap often relieves the symptoms too but that's not a good solution, you should remove the SCV and either clean or replace it. Cleaning it is free, replacing it is about $240 plus labour.

Thanks for that how would of this happened? Would it of been fromsome dirty diesel and will it be under warranty cause it only 3 months old?

It's unusual for such a young vehicle but fuel choice does matter. The general rule of thumb that I use is to visit truck ports before smaller outlets, and prefer the "big 3" over other brands - in order, for me, BP Ultimate, Caltex Vortex, Shell (then BP Normal and if desperate, others). Other brands (7-Eleven, Metro, United etc) are wholesaled by Mobil and rumour has it that sometimes the drivers mix the diesel with up to 20% biodiesel. Biodiesel isn't bad if it's commercially manufactured but some home brews could have questionable levels of fat content.

The SCV is the usual culprit for those symptoms. You can further verify it if the symptoms are relaxed by loosening the fuel cap. I've seen it happen first-hand - cruise at about 80km/h then put your foot to the boards, it goes limp straight away - and either takes a bit longer to go limp if the fuel cap is loose, or it doesn't limp at all.

It should be under warranty (Nissan will replace the SCV, not clean it).

Awesome thanks for all your help Tony. I'll give nissan a call and see what they'll do but least I know what's more then likely wrong with it.

Latest posts

Back