Long range fuel tank issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V9x

Reaction score
I just had a ironman tank installed on my 2012 stx nav and I have not had the fuel gauge work properly ever since.

Dropped it off reading nearly empty and filled it up once i picked it up with 140litres and it still reads empty . Have had it back to the shop today and they say the problem is in the dash. When you move the float the gauge does not move ,they have tested the wiring in the loom and tell me it's working upto the gauge so the problem must be there.

They said they have googled it and they said that there is a problem with the fuel gauge in the new navaras and I should take it back to Nissan to be repaired .

I can not find any info on this issue . Has anybody had a problem with their fuel gauge ? Or long range tank install on the new nav?

Cheers

If it was working before Iornman fitted the tank , it's their problem

agreed. i know when fitting trays, some vehicles have sensitive senders on the top of the tank that break easily if bumped when moving the tray and mounts around. maybe the Nav has something like that and it was damaged during the swap over

Yeah it's their problem for sure, they said if Nissan wont warranty it then they will fix it. They are a good tyre shop and have done lots of good quality work for me before, so I'm sure they will look after me . Pisses me off stuffing around with it though . This is the second time I have had to bring it back , now I have to go to Nissan and blah blah blah . Lucky I'm not working at the moment so my time is relatively free . Annoying but . One of the mechanics said its not something we have touched everything they touched is working fine, you can guess what my reply was to that . He was pretty apologetic about it after that hahaha

Ok so the problem has been rectified . They put the tank back together and it started working . Suspecting the probable cause was float snagging on something in the tank .stange because it looked like there wasn't much for it to foul on. All good now , happy customer!

that's good mate. did you unplug everything? could have been a dodgy connection with the sender that was repaired when you connected it back up

Yeah the guys at the shop had everything apart and were testing all the wiring in the loom and checked all the connectors . They tell me it was likely the float getting caught on something. Maybe they forgot to plug something back in ,because he told me when they moved the float the gauge wasn't moving . Im thinking now it may have been something simple that they forgot to do, because I wouldn't tell my customers that I forgot to plug something in or do something up lol not a good look for the business .

True that! All I can say is I'm glad I paid someone else the $250 to install it as I would have been pulling my hair out trying to figure it out. Money well spent : )

Hey mate,

Glad to hear it is all working now. Would you be able to tell me who did the install of the tank? Was it one of our Ironman 4x4 offices or was it one of our distributors (and if so which one?)

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

We had a small issue with the fuel sender too - the plug LOOKED like it was on, but it needed an extra click to fully engage. Simple mistake, often done because of how difficult it is to reach that part of the tank. Glad to hear yours is fixed.

Hey mate,

Glad to hear it is all working now. Would you be able to tell me who did the install of the tank? Was it one of our Ironman 4x4 offices or was it one of our distributors (and if so which one?)

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

It wasn't an ironman office who did the install. I'd rather not say who did the install , they don't deserve any bad rep . Happy with the product and happy with the end result. Sometimes shit happens : ) but it was taken care of .

I suspect it may be like old tony said sender clip may not have been in properly as I couldnt see anything inside the tank that the float would foul on.

Cheers

That's all good V9x,

More than anything we just like to determine where installers might have gotten caught up during installation. This helps feed back into our overall product design and any hold-ups can also be added into our installation guides.

As first stated, glad to hear it all got sorted out. Enjoy the extra range!

This storey sounds too similar to mine. But I had to drop the car off 2 more times. Each time the gauge would read different and only after running out off fuel with a quarter tank showing on guage did the shop doo somthing about it. In the end I got told there was a installation amendment from Ironman that they didnt get. Not saying its not true but pissed me right off.

Latest posts

Back