Lacking power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slippery

Reaction score
Hi all, I've got an 03 D22 ZD30 and ever since doing the EGR block and snorkel, the old girl just seems to have no power. Fuel economy unloaded is still about 650km per tank and about 450km when towing the caravan (1800kg) but as soon as I get to any type of incline when towing there's nothing there. Dropping back to 4th and even 3rd to get up. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

First thing id think about is when was fuel filter last changed?

And i guess double check the egr block is done correct.

Didnt block any of the intake up when snorkel was done? Leave a rag or anything in there?

Fuel filter changed about 5k ago, one thing I have issues with is priming after changing filter, even though I clamp the fuel lines, can never prime fuel until it goes hard, have to manually prime with a priming bulb, maybe fuel filter housing needs replacing. Definitely no rags in air intake. Might have to double check EGR block is done correct.

Fuel filter changed about 5k ago, one thing I have issues with is priming after changing filter, even though I clamp the fuel lines, can never prime fuel until it goes hard, have to manually prime with a priming bulb, maybe fuel filter housing needs replacing. Definitely no rags in air intake. Might have to double check EGR block is done correct.

Fit clear hoses to and from the fuel filter so you can look for air bubbles as a sign of leakage, it should be pretty obvious if it's sucking air.

Can't offer any help sorry! But am watching with interest coz I went from a 265 70 R16 tyre to a 265 75 R16 tyre round the same time I did the EGR blank and noticed slight power loss and just put it down to larger tyres, which I think actually is the culprit in my case.

Can't offer any help sorry! But am watching with interest coz I went from a 265 70 R16 tyre to a 265 75 R16 tyre round the same time I did the EGR blank and noticed slight power loss and just put it down to larger tyres, which I think actually is the culprit in my case.

I lost power going from 31inch to 32inch tyres but a 2 1/2" exhaust got the power back down low.

It's not a dodgy neutral position switch is it Slippery?

I lost power going from 31inch to 32inch tyres but a 2 1/2" exhaust got the power back down low.
Thanks Rumpig, thought this would be the case. Although not showing signs of struggling to make or losing boost my turbo has some shaft play and looks due to be replaced so I ordered a Forefront turbo today and I thought I may as well chuck a 3" xforce system in while they are piss farting around with the studs on the turbo instead of doing it down the track again, so hopefully get it back and then some :D

Definetly check the nuetral position switch, after that id be chasing why the primer doesnt go hard, ( do the clear hoses, these are temporary not permanent), after that I got nothing.

@Rastik how many km on turbo?

Last edited:
@Rastik how many km on turbo?
175000km on turbo, shaft play, some oil in intake (mechanic thinks more than just blow by) and a little on the noisy side. Better safe than sorry, rather change it out than it go down the track and cause further issues

Edit: ordered catch can from Forefront as well

Last edited:
I have had the same issues,(2003 zd30) i suspected the turbo but found several small things, firstly there was a hugh amount of resistance between the battery earth and the engine. I cleaned all the connections, which helped and then ran a earth cable direct from batt to engine earth.
Second,(i have blocked egr) the main butterfly on the intake pipe was only opening about half way, so pulled the vacc hose off and opened right up( i wll actually remove the butterfly soon).It does seem to "runon" slightly now.
My hoses needed replaceing from turbo to intake pipe, got new silicone ones.
My Factory exhaust/cat, its now much more free flowing.
Ran some injector cleaner through it.
These things have made a big difference to my vehicle.

Will try the NPS next, took the EGR plate back out and put all the vacuum hoses back to original, still no guts. How would the battery earth affect power Resto? Just curious

"Second,(i have blocked egr) the main butterfly on the intake pipe was only opening about half way, so pulled the vacc hose off and opened right up( i wll actually remove the butterfly soon).It does seem to "runon" slightly now."
Don't remove the wrong butterfly, the one in the divided section of the "y pipe" is the EGR butterfly, the one in the single section of the y pipe is the shutdown butterfly. This explains why it was opening only half way.

Attachments

• intake valve.JPG
    intake valve.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 54
Slippery, did you fit the snorkel yourself? Was the rubber connecting hose ribbed so it can't collapse under vacuum when you're flat to the floor, going up hill. Where the snorkel goes thru the guard doesn't have overlap like this?

Attachments

• IMG_1470.jpg
    IMG_1470.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 73
You could be on to something there Rumpig. I did fit the snorkel not long after doing the EGR block and it's definitely not ribbed like that

That pic isn't of the flexible section with the ribbing/wire coil but of the solid sections. Where they slip together there was to much overlap so i took it off and trimmed it back. This reduced the amount of induction noise so it must be flowing more air. Compare this pic to the last one to see what i mean. If the snorkel is restricted at all, the turbo could be sucking any soft sections flat.

Attachments

• IMG_1471-2.jpg
    IMG_1471-2.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 54
Flexible hose was soft as. Cut it off so at the moment not connected direct to the snorkel and breathing from underneath the wheel arch. Feels like the race car she used to be. Thanks heaps Rumpig

That pic isn't of the flexible section with the ribbing/wire coil but of the solid sections. Where they slip together there was to much overlap so i took it off and trimmed it back. This reduced the amount of induction noise so it must be flowing more air. Compare this pic to the last one to see what i mean. If the snorkel is restricted at all, the turbo could be sucking any soft sections flat.
Is that a Nissan genuine snorkel? Reason I ask is coz I get a f@$&load of induction noise and I am soon going to put a Forefront pre filter delete pipe on, so if this is the case I may check the snorkel piping while the pre filter piping is off.

Cheers for the info Rumpig.
Slippery, As far as the earths connections, nothing with a bad earth connection works properly!
Im sure someone here can explain it a bit more technically.
Just check and clean them all anyway.

Thanks Resto. Not a genuine Nissan snorkel rastik86, got it off eBay. Good snorkel apart from the obvious now. Just needs a bit of internal reinforcement of the flexible pipe

Back