Keeping inside a canopy cool?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadgets

Reaction score
Ive got my fridge fitted full time in the back tray under the canopy, Ive also got a 50ltr compressor for work in there full time , the compressor creates lots of heat while the fridge tries to keep stuff cool. Its all good now but in summer I dont think it will be too good for the fridge, Ive tinted the windows on the canopy but I dont think that will be good enough.
Anyone got any cooling ideas for a canopy? Extraction fans or something like that. Ps, I cant leave the windows open as Im often parked on the street with the compressor and fridge running.

A fixed security screen for one of the windows?
So you can leave open.

Air con running off some sort of power mounted on a side window Hehe. I dunno. It's a tough one that you can't leave Windows open etc

Oh DON'T use the super stupid vent I have. On top of roof, rectangular, front lifts up to let air in, spring loaded. Spring breaks n can not get a new 1 without buying the whole vent again. Flexiglass quoted $145. Bu!!$h!t

A fixed security screen for one of the windows?
So you can leave open.

Good idea but I dont want ppl seeing inside, A fridge plus lots of extra gear might make them come back with a grinder!

What about one of those solar powered fans you put in the window? I think they were called an auto-vent-turbo????? Just type "solar vent" into eBay and you'll see heaps.

Oh DON'T use the super stupid vent I have. On top of roof, rectangular, front lifts up to let air in, spring loaded. Spring breaks n can not get a new 1 without buying the whole vent again. Flexiglass quoted $145. Bu!!$h!t

Crazy price for a spring , You tried opening it up to see if you can fix it yourself?

What about one of those solar powered fans you put in the window? I think they were called an auto-vent-turbo????? Just type "solar vent" into eBay and you'll see heaps.

Cool, great suggestion, just looked on ebay loads of examples, I wonder where it could be mounted to not let in water or dust

Yeah the spring is a big u shape. hooked an oky strap to it. problem solved. Just didn't want any1 else to buy 1. I wouldn't have a Flexiglass canopy again either. The aluminium support over the rear window, which is the window frame doesn't attach to the base frame that runs along the top of the wellback body. So it flex's, shakes at the back window. Basically SH!T design. Can fix it by welding it together and maybe add another support near it.

I use the front sliding window to keep my tub cool, it's always open an inch or so, lets very little rain in unless it's pissing down but does provide an air passage from front to back, and out the tailgate.

Also Nissan thoughtfully left gaps between the front and sides of the tub which I'm sure they will tell you are for this purpose. There is also usually some fairly good gaps around the tailgate which do the same. It appears to depend on the model as to how many and how wide these gaps are but from other threads on here they all seem to have something.

If you really are sealed up to the point no air gets in ARB do a roof vent (which opens backwards to avoid damage) and can be fitted to any canopy with a little fiberglass work. From memory another thread here somewhere suggested they were about $110.

There are plenty of people here with false floors and drawer systems that potentially have the working bits of their fridges under the false floor line thus getting very limited air flow, it's not my ideal way of doing it because I like my fridge to have air flow and not work it's arse off, but they don't seem to be having many issues so the problem may not be as big as you might think.

Failing all that there was a thread on here about 2 years ago where someone pumped A/C air into the tub through the vent behind the rear passenger seat, overkill for most purposes but once again it's a personal preference thing.

I also leave the front facing sliding window open a bit in an attempt to pressurise the canopy. I have not had rain or water in yet even though I always forget to close it when I am washing the car.

Perhaps you could use a scupper vent which are fitted to some caravans. They are a bit cheaper than the ARB thing. You would need to have a look at one first I would suggest.

Here is a link to one of the many companies they sell them

CARAVANSHOP.COM.AU = Australia's top shop for Caravan & RV equipment online!

Last edited:
The ARB price I gave was only from memory of a 12 month old thread but yes you're right the caravan mobs will probably be cheaper and they will do the same thing. Just need to remember that mounting them so they open backwards providing they lock open will mean less chance of breaking hinges or springs.

KraftyPg said:
The ARB price I gave was only from memory of a 12 month old thread but yes you're right the caravan mobs will probably be cheaper and they will do the same thing. Just need to remember that mounting them so they open backwards providing they lock open will mean less chance of breaking hinges or springs.

Actually you would want the opening forwards...

For one, it'll create a positive pressure environment in the canopy keeping dust, etc out and
For two, forcing air circulation in the canopy, thus hopefully keeping it cool(er)

It wont matter which way it point just like sun roofs and vents on buses, however opening backwards there is a lot less chances of it coming off in the wind since if anything it will be pushed closed.

Air will flow into the canopy even with a rearward opening vent

Maybe rearward facing vent would act like a venturi thereby pull hot air out of the canopy? :big_smile:

I really have no idea although the scupper vent in our van faces forward & I remember that because we end up with dead bugs on the bed!

The scupper vent snaps back into position (bites me sometimes) & maybe it would not be suitable for a canopy without a bit of reinforcement behind it. I don't know if I paid much attention to the way the ARB vent was installed as I was put off by the additional cost & crawling inside if I wanted to close it. It could have been installed at the back of the canopy but figured that it would not be as effective.

The ARB bloke said the vent that they install was designed because of the lift up front window option, which obviously cant be left open when travelling.

Anyway after all this I am buggered if I know.

Anyway after all this I am buggered if I know.[/QUOTE]

Well I had a SH!T day 2day n Really needed a laugh!
That's Gold Joe.
Cheers

Some good replies there, shame I cant leave a window open,Thieving bastards everywhere, I still like the idea of the solar vent thing, should have enough charge on the hot days, put that together with leaving the front window open should help.

There are plenty of people here with false floors and drawer systems that potentially have the working bits of their fridges under the false floor line thus getting very limited air flow, it's not my ideal way of doing it because I like my fridge to have air flow and not work it's arse off.

Ya, I want my fridge working as little as possible like you, I plan to hold onto the car for a long time and want the fridge to live as long as the car so Im interested in all the ideas floating around. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back