how hard do you rev your navara ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the day I guess. More often then not I change at 2500rpm but going up to 5th I rev it to about 2800rpm.

Dave.

Never checked mine that much before but I can tell you it's revving a shitload harder this week around hilly the cow paddocks with about 900kgs of fencing gear in the back and a tandem trailer behind. Still haven't been stuck yet and the Nav hasn't once missed a beat on the 50-70 degree hills so I don't mind the harder revving much.

i was a passenger in a 2.8 TD triton today and the guy driving reved the absolute shit out of it, i mean he was taking nearly every gear beyond 4 grand. i wasent driving but it seemed more free reving than my nav. i know they are a different engine but being a smaller engine do they rev harder or something. cos i reckon my nav is screaming around the 3500 mark and would not like to even take it to 4000 in fear of it going pop

i was a passenger in a 2.8 TD triton today and the guy driving reved the absolute shit out of it, i mean he was taking nearly every gear beyond 4 grand. i wasent driving but it seemed more free reving than my nav. i know they are a different engine but being a smaller engine do they rev harder or something. cos i reckon my nav is screaming around the 3500 mark and would not like to even take it to 4000 in fear of it going pop

testosterone overload with mates in the car?? ;-)

Take your Nav on the sand and get it revving and see how much better it goes after the run.

Dave.

First gear revs out SO fast sometimes its bloody hard to keep revs low when pulling into traffic or as mentioned by others.... dragging a Lux,
I dont pay much attention to the tacho, i mainly go by engine noise, due to the fact my first two cars were manuel without tachos.
I must say I'm not one of those blokes who wind out every gear instill the donks screaming, but i also dont like to dordle either.

It seems to clean the motor out, after a good stint in low range my Nav always goes better and gets better economy.

Dave.

I have often though that the people who run engines like the ZD30 around at 1500rpm are risking glazed bores. I never let mine get down that low unless I am coming to a stop. I actually think that is the weakest point in the rev range anyway (At least with mine) when towing you can really feel the torque start to roll off as you drop below 2000rpm and just below 1500 it falls in a hole which can be tricky to get out of. That is the worst aspect of the car as far as I am concerned, getting a race car on a trailer moving uphill at the lights can be a toss up between moving off or smoking the clutch. At Phillip Island there is a tunnel under the track to the pits and I stop at the top and drop it into low range before heading down as if I got baulked on the way up the other side (It happens) I would never get it moving again in high range.

I usually change up at around 2500-3000 rpm, but once in a while will redline it to blow the cobwebs out! Nav has done 20k now and the engine has nicely loosed up since new, when it was new it really didn't want too much above 2000rpm.

When I do redline it it usually on the way home going up a certain hill in 2nd gear, and seems to have no issues going up to 5000rpm. Am a bit surprised at the amount of smoke it sometimes blows, which is especially noticeable at night if a another car is driving behind me!

Hey guys,

Driving the Nav with the chip in it is a bit different to without. I tend to use almost no accelerator, about a half inch press to start and as soon as she starts to pull past 2000, I ease up the foot pressure as it doesn't need it. For general driving I find I use about a 1/4 inch of pedal press when in the power range (2000-3500).

With the power being flat to about 1500-1700, I allow the old girl to get into her power range and let her rev to around 3000, that puts my next gear straight into the power range and allows the nav to pull easily into the next gear.

I rarely let her rev over 3,500, although I have revved it to 4,500 once or twice in traffic situations in first. I don't like revving it hard, it's pointless. Sure is hard not to use the power of the chip and turbo when it comes in though. :)

Cheers,

DJ

with no trailer I drive however I feel at the time,I go by sound and when I'm towing the camp trailer I tow 4th gear and sit on about 90-100 and she sits between 3000-3250.

Latest posts

Back