Horse Float Towing upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caine.spick

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a 2015 Navara STX 4wd. I hear they have a few issues towing and I’ll be using it for towing the wife’s horses with a tandem horse float.

Any threads on upgrades to look into?

Regards,

Caine

most likely just springs and shock upgrade. most utes stock suspension is for comfort not load carrying. it does depend on how many horses etc.
but no1 problem is people overload the hell out of double cabs and wonder why they break.

I tow a 2T rated camper with my 2013 manual. It is great! What you need to assess is -
* ATM or GTM and tare weight from the trailer VIN plate.
* Weight on the tow ball (when fully loaded). GTM is the weight over the trailer wheels excluding the weight on the tow ball; ATM is the GTM plus TBW. You can't exceed either else illegal.
* Tyre sizes on the float must correspond to the tyre size nominated on the trailer VIN plate. Smaller tyres than specified is illegal.
* Tow hitch rating for max load and tow ball weight (it will have a stamped plate). Most ratings will be 10$ of the tow bar max load rating. Exceed it and you are illegal.
* Vehicle tyre load ratings (from tyre sidewall). Each rear tyre rating x2 should equal or exceed the load over the vehicle rear axle, else illegal.
* Rear axle max load rating (from the owners manual).
* GCM rating (from the owners manual).
* GVM derating (from owners manual) for various tow ball weights.
* Load carried in the vehicle when towing - Do you have a canopy? Tub liner? Tools? Mum and the kids? Load in the vehicle detracts from the towing capability if you are getting close to the vehicles maximum load rating.

Sounds complicated and it can be. The only true way to determine if you are within the vehicle ratings is to have the combination weighed when fully loaded. The big issue for all utes towing heavy loads is the rear overhang from rear axle centre to the towing pintle. If your horse float applies 300kg of tow ball weight, that equates to about 425kg at the axle! The D40 Navara has a payload of 820kg; you weigh 90kg; mum 70kg; 2 kids 50kg; canopy 130kg; horse saddles 40kg; lunch and refreshments in the Engel 40kg; bingo, you are overloaded!

I have heavier rear springs and HD shock absorbers and use a load equaliser arrangement to transfer some of the TBW onto the front axle. Even then I am very careful with what I carry. Horses are heavy.

Latest posts

Back