Hi from Perth

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaisken

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got my first 4x4 a few days ago, and it's a 2006 Navara D22 STR 3.0Di

I'm looking for mods recommendations. I'm not chasing power. Instead, I'm looking for things that may improve the longevity of my engine. I was reading a few posts and saw some threads about intercoolers, catch can, EGR delete...

Do you guys have any recommendations of what I should do? I always worked on my cars, and it's not going to be different on this one.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum.

Modifications like intercoolers, EGR deletion etc will improve the performance of the engine, but not necessarily extend its life. EGR dampens combustion temps which if anything will reduce stress on the motor, at the expense of a little less power and the ingestion of a little diesel soot.

The catch can is similar. The idea is to remove (most of) the oil vapour from the stream of gases coming out of the crankcase (which is more exhaust gas which passes by the piston rings and enters the sump area). In itself, it's not particularly dangerous to the engine. Combined with the diesel soot from the EGR, it can form a thick black paste that gradually fills the intake manifold. Removing one or the other is usually sufficient to prevent this, and legally, the catch can is the better choice.

More efficient intercoolers will lower the intake manifold air temperature (making it denser) which will result in hotter combustion and more power - and more stress in the motor.

I think the ZD30 engine's biggest Achilles Heel is its VP44 fuel pump which we've been discussing a lot recently. It seems there's a small circuit board inside that can suffer some sort of failure, but we're not yet sure if that failure is due to something causing the pump to work less efficiently (requiring more effort and therefore strain on the components controlling it) or if it's just a under-spec component finally giving up. The unfortunate side to this is the cost of having the pump repaired, or replaced - they're not cheap and we don't know (yet) if it can be done any cheaper - or, if it's as simple as just replacing the failed component, whether or not it's worthwhile without a full service on the rest of the pump to remove the problem that caused the component failure in the first place.

The best thing for ensuring the longevity of the motor is to have it serviced regularly, using an oil designed for diesel engines. Ensure that the coolant temperature never gets too high (over half way on the gauge is getting too warm). Don't pressure-wash the engine bay - using degreaser is ok, as is a low-pressure hose - otherwise you may cause electrical issues.

Welcome to the forum.

Modifications like intercoolers, EGR deletion etc will improve the performance of the engine, but not necessarily extend its life. EGR dampens combustion temps which if anything will reduce stress on the motor, at the expense of a little less power and the ingestion of a little diesel soot.

The catch can is similar. The idea is to remove (most of) the oil vapour from the stream of gases coming out of the crankcase (which is more exhaust gas which passes by the piston rings and enters the sump area). In itself, it's not particularly dangerous to the engine. Combined with the diesel soot from the EGR, it can form a thick black paste that gradually fills the intake manifold. Removing one or the other is usually sufficient to prevent this, and legally, the catch can is the better choice.

More efficient intercoolers will lower the intake manifold air temperature (making it denser) which will result in hotter combustion and more power - and more stress in the motor.

I think the ZD30 engine's biggest Achilles Heel is its VP44 fuel pump which we've been discussing a lot recently. It seems there's a small circuit board inside that can suffer some sort of failure, but we're not yet sure if that failure is due to something causing the pump to work less efficiently (requiring more effort and therefore strain on the components controlling it) or if it's just a under-spec component finally giving up. The unfortunate side to this is the cost of having the pump repaired, or replaced - they're not cheap and we don't know (yet) if it can be done any cheaper - or, if it's as simple as just replacing the failed component, whether or not it's worthwhile without a full service on the rest of the pump to remove the problem that caused the component failure in the first place.

The best thing for ensuring the longevity of the motor is to have it serviced regularly, using an oil designed for diesel engines. Ensure that the coolant temperature never gets too high (over half way on the gauge is getting too warm). Don't pressure-wash the engine bay - using degreaser is ok, as is a low-pressure hose - otherwise you may cause electrical issues.

Thanks a lot, it was an excellent explanation. My first one will be a catch can for sure. I have one more question, I've seen few people talking about egt temperatures, why is it important and how can I Keep it down?

Thanks

EGT temps are really important if you're running a chip that changes the fuel map or boost levels from standard, or if you're doing something like alcohol/gas injection. These things give significant power increases and the coolant temp doesn't react fast enough - you have to watch exhaust gas temp to see if the temp rises too much. Ordinarily - with an unmodified engine - you don't need to worry about it too much, especially if you're not flogging the life out of the motor.

If you were towing a lot you might consider it, but coolant temps do rise quickly enough to indicate the engine's working hard. It's more when you're using other performance enchantments that EGT should be monitored. Doesn't mean you can't - for some people it's interesting!

The most important thing is probably to keep your right foot light. The D22 ZD30 is a slow boat. It will get there, often last. If you can accept that, the engine can serve you for a very long time.
As opposed to those who get there first, but sometimes not at all.

Dunno about the 2006 model but the ZD30 isn't a race motor. Keep it as standard as you can and don't mess with chipping. The motor loves fresh oil about every 5K.
if it doesn't have an intercooler, try the IFS winch version intercooler, it was one of the first things I put on my old gal.
I don't use a catch can, I had no need to do it.
And she is a few K's short of coming up to 476K on the clock and still going like a rocket haha
If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

The most important thing is probably to keep your right foot light. The D22 ZD30 is a slow boat. It will get there, often last. If you can accept that, the engine can serve you for a very long time.
As opposed to those who get there first, but sometimes not at all.

Hahaha that is true, I'm not a fast driver anyway

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys, I do appreciate your help :)

Looks like my gal is losing coolant (a lot) :(
I checked underneath and looks like there is a small crack on that pipe, I've checked the hoses and clamp and they are ok, any suggestions?
4240AC2F-6C97-4BCC-9482-33D8CDA6D2E8.jpeg

Those are the pipes for the cabin heating. I would call a few wreckers to see if they have a set available, shouldn't cost to much.

Latest posts

Back