Yd25 timing chain perth

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Taylor

Reaction score
Hi guys just got my self a 2014 nissan navara and looking to have the timing chain replaced in perth WA any recommendations on where to have this done would like to have the duplex modification if there is a place in perth that can do this

I had mine done by Keith Adamson Auto Repairs in Osborne Park. Car Mechanic Osborne Park -

They installed the kit available form here: YD25 Duplex Timing Chain Conversion Kit

The two young Mechanics who performed the installation were careful and did a professional job. They had a laptop on the bench with the instructions from YD25 on the screen that they constantly referred to. They torqued all the fasteners as specified. I know this as I live nearby and visted several times to see what they were doing and show I was interested. https://www.yd25.com.au/images/site_images/pdfs/timingchaintod22d40r51.pdf

Since doing the conversion in July 2019 my D40 has done the Canning Stock Route, Holland Track and many other remote trips with no issues and no oil leaks.

However I understand Keith Adamson is trying to sell the business as he wants to retire so it would be worth calling them to find out what's going on. Keith is now about 65 so he's allowed to retire ... as long as there's a succession plan it shouldn't be a problem. If one or both of the two Mechanics who did my installation are still there they'd be worth considering as they've been through the leaning curve. Having said that they do lot's of work on 4wd's and I'd seen D40's there before getting various repairs done.

I got a quote from a place in Kelmscott everyone raves about however he wanted like over 4k from memory and doesnt use the YD25 kit and Osborne park Nissan quoted just under 4k if you have the parts already put up a request on auto guru they will send you thru quotes

Wow that's a steep quote think I may do it myself if it's that sort of money
When I had mine done it was mixed in with a new clutch and HP injection pump so I don't have the total cost of just the dual row timing chain kit installation.

When I watched some of the work I think a full day's labour is about right. YD25 confirm that as they say allow 10 hours. The kit is excellent quality and from memory it was about $1600 with freight. Typical Mechanics rates in a workshop with the tools and equipment are around $160 per hour. So ten hours is $1600 plus $1600 for the kit and a bit more for consumables like radiator coolant, gaskets etc and $3,600 to $4,000 is around the mark.

If you take your time and have the tools DIY'ing is an option. Once the radiator is out there's plenty of room to get to the front of the motor. Navlife hire the special tools required.

https://navlife.com.au/product/yd25-d22-d40-r51-duplex-timing-chain-conversion-kit/

Last edited:
I got a quote from a place in Kelmscott everyone raves about however he wanted like over 4k from memory and doesnt use the YD25 kit and Osborne park Nissan quoted just under 4k if you have the parts already put up a request on auto guru they will send you thru quotes

That's a steep price from Osborne Park Nissan considering parts are not included. They're the local Dealer I go to. I find their parts prices aren't too bad if you ask for trade price.

Those quotes included the parts however these cars are at best are worth 10k so to pay 4K for a chain I just can’t see that being commercially viable when mines due I probably send it to the wreckers

Hi Guys, I have been looking at preventive maintenance on my 2011 Navara automatic which has done 170,000 klm and in particular the timing chain. After much reading and discussing it with mechanics, this is what I have found.
1. the wear on the timing chain can be measured electronically by an oscilloscope and it is a simple and quick job. YD25 will do the test for free. YD25 have all the details of how to do it so you can get a tech guy to check it out if you don't get to YD25. I am having mine checked this week.
2. The truck workshop where my vehicles are serviced said they have never replaced a chain on an automatic Navara and they have serviced autos with 350,000 klms on them. That the timing chain problem is caused by the dual mass flywheel oscillating when the motor is idling whipping the tension back and forth on the chain and eventually causing premature failure. I saw a video on the problem where it sounded like the engine was running on 3 cylinders at idle but after diagnosis, they found the flywheel was the problem. It was oscillating so badly it was hitting the edge of the bell housing.
3. The local dealer quoted me $3,000 to $5,000 depending on the parts needed if I wanted to change the chain. YD 25 said it should cost between $2-2,500 for the standard chain and $2,500 to $3,000 for the double-row chain.

Hi Guys, I have been looking at preventive maintenance on my 2011 Navara automatic which has done 170,000 klm and in particular the timing chain. After much reading and discussing it with mechanics, this is what I have found.
1. the wear on the timing chain can be measured electronically by an oscilloscope and it is a simple and quick job. YD25 will do the test for free. YD25 have all the details of how to do it so you can get a tech guy to check it out if you don't get to YD25. I am having mine checked this week.
2. The truck workshop where my vehicles are serviced said they have never replaced a chain on an automatic Navara and they have serviced autos with 350,000 klms on them. That the timing chain problem is caused by the dual mass flywheel oscillating when the motor is idling whipping the tension back and forth on the chain and eventually causing premature failure. I saw a video on the problem where it sounded like the engine was running on 3 cylinders at idle but after diagnosis, they found the flywheel was the problem. It was oscillating so badly it was hitting the edge of the bell housing.
3. The local dealer quoted me $3,000 to $5,000 depending on the parts needed if I wanted to change the chain. YD 25 said it should cost between $2-2,500 for the standard chain and $2,500 to $3,000 for the double-row chain.
Now this is some new and interesting information.

Kinda makes me a bit happier knowing I've got the Auto

Also don't feel so bad that mine has 250 on the clock :)

Those quotes included the parts however these cars are at best are worth 10k so to pay 4K for a chain I just can’t see that being commercially viable when mines due I probably send it to the wreckers
I can’t find a 2014 D40 in my state for under 22k. I’d love to grab one for 10k

Has the info re dual mass clutch and timing chains been verified by any other source ?
Sounds a bit fanciful as the only cause of chain failure. Would mean D22's dont break chains - at least not within their service life which according to YD25 is 150kkm

I wouldn't discount the possibility. From what I've learned the main cause of failure is the tensioner not performing (either through wear or being clogged up).

The DMF shouldn't change the rotation of the engine (it's designed to change the rotation of the output shaft) but it may indeed change the pressure on components like timing chains. Would it be enough to cause the chain to fail?

I guess even mountains can be worn down by rain over centuries.

Latest posts

Back