Hey from tas

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04navstu

Reaction score
Hey guys, stu here.
Just picked up my new bus today 04 d22 nav first impressions having never owned a diesel ' Fucking awesome'
Just got a few questions and i cant find any specific posts if anyone could help that would be great. =)

1. How much boost do they run standard?
2. Is it worth intercooling or would i get just as much extra out of it and still be reliable if i were to do exhaust and put a snorkle on?
3. Ive heard you cant lift them much in the front end because of independent front end, whats the best way to go about it?

Thats all for now, cheers =)

Welcome to the forum!

1) Generally around the 15psi to 20psi mark is what my understanding is.

2) Intercooling will give you a slight (perhaps not too noticeable where you are) performance increase but it will catch broken turbo bits. Intercoolers have a greater effect in hot areas. If you're not fitting an intercooler, have your turbocharger checked for bearing quality and perhaps install a turbo timer - or just make sure that you let the turbo cool and spin down before you turn the motor off.

3) 50mm is generally the most you're legally allowed to lift the vehicles anyway.

1) 15psi stock, up to 20psi with exhaust mods.

2) intercooler will help with reliability, power and economy. well worth doing if you have the $.

3) 50mm is about the most you want to lift. anything more you tend to hit the stops. if no front bar or winch then you can simply wind up the front torsion bars.

Hello from the main land.Being in such a cold enviroment you won't need an intercooler.
Do exhaust,snorkel and chip it.If you are doing a suspension lift get the heavy duty torsion bars.I have ironman in mine and find that they are great.

Welcome, intercooler really helps on hot days.

Without the extra fuel you dont notice much but on a hot day you dont lose power you would now.

Dave.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Took it off road for the first time today and it pulls really well im quite impressed. 50mm more lift is definatly needed though.

Tweak,e - I do have a winch bar filled, how does this prevent me from winding the torsion bars up??
Was out with another navara today and he has his wound up and it makes an awfull skwealing noise over big bumps and in ruts.

Hey dave they don't have hot days in Tassy.lol
Heavy duty torsion bars are better with a steel bullbar and winch.I think that they are also longer so that you can align the front end properly also.

Haha na definatly no hot days down here, turbo's love it =)
ah ok, ill just make some bars up to the right length.

Your keen wanting to make your own torsion bars.

Haven't been to Tassie yet, whats a hot day there ?

Dave.

im a boily so will be easy. plus high tensile steel isnt too expensive. cheaper than buying a set.
well im from melbourne and now living in tas there is a temperature difference. say it was 40 in vic, could be 36 here and feel the same.
got to 36 last summer and that was hot enough.
and being a welder it gets fuking hot in the workshop

Hahahahahahahahaha i cant believe they have a page for our climate.
the seasons are all backwads atm anyway the seasons are becoming later and later. we didnt have any snow til the start of spring and it hasn't even started getting warm yet. dont think summer will kick in to feb

How are you going to make bars up to the right length.They are splined and of a certain grade material.

How do you think they make them??
I have all the equiptment at work, and they will only be high tensile of some sort.
That i will have to look up of course

im a boily so will be easy. plus high tensile steel isnt too expensive. cheaper than buying a set.

How do you think they make them??
I have all the equiptment at work, and they will only be high tensile of some sort.
That i will have to look up of course

Yeah, no... It's not HSLA, the yield strength is wayyy too low and I'll bet the young's modulus is too low too. Torsion bars are spring steel, which is low alloy, medium to high carbon, and tempered and hardened, it's a steel not commonly used outside of suspension manufacture.

They make them by rolling the splines, not cutting them, cutting them increases the stress concentration in the troughs of the splines a great deal, do you have the right spline roller on your lathe?

Yeah, no... It's not HSLA, the yield strength is wayyy too low and I'll bet the young's modulus is too low too. Torsion bars are spring steel, which is low alloy, medium to high carbon, and tempered and hardened, it's a steel not commonly used outside of suspension manufacture.

They make them by rolling the splines, not cutting them, cutting them increases the stress concentration in the troughs of the splines a great deal, do you have the right spline roller on your lathe?

Yeah im quite aware of all this. got a spline roller and we have a bit to do with hardened steels and alloys. Dont worrie its not something id muck around with half arsed on my new car. Ive had it a week. its not like im gonna go putting wooden wheels on so they dont go flat or plastic in the windows so they dont break =)

Latest posts

Back