Goodbye Nav hello Patrol

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just gone thru a process of choosing between the Patrol & Navara STX and come out with the view that the Navara is the better option. Reasons as follows:-
1. Navara can carry more load.
2. Navara engine has higher torque & power.
3. Navara has better fuel consumption.
4. Patrol engine is older direct injection technology with a bolted on CRD system which was bodgied up to satisfy emission requirements when the original engine failed to meet new standards.
5. Navara has better ground clearance.

I'd be interested in other people's conclusions. Regards, John Sneddon

I've just gone thru a process of choosing between the Patrol & Navara STX and come out with the view that the Navara is the better option. Reasons as follows:-

Perhaps but there are photos of D40's with broken chassis

But terrible turbo lag and no low down torque

Are you sure? best read some fuel economy threads.

4. Patrol engine is older direct injection technology with a bolted on CRD system which was bodgied up to satisfy emission requirements when the original engine failed to meet new standards.

So is the 2.5 as far as I know.

About 15mm, but the large rear overhang, long wheel base and the atrocious turning circle are severe disabilities offroad.

I could add dozens of other Pro's, but my point of view is for serious offroading not a commerical soft 4 x 4 ute for the odd weekend trip to the beach.

Last edited:

Hello John. It all depends on what your requirements are, they are both very different vehicles.
But like king, I want to get into some serious 4 wheeling and I have pretty much already reached the limit my Navara will take me (with IFS etc) and do not want to do serious mods like SAS (single axle swap). 33's will fit a Patrol with standard height suspension and 35s will fit with a 3" lift without much guard modding.

I much prefer the look and functionality of the dual cab D40 (over the patrol ute) and had always planned on upgrading to one of these when the time came. But now I have the offroad bug and the Patrols driveline is a much better choice for what I want to do

Fire in the hole!

But seriously...welcome to the patrol club. I thought about getting a wagon but couldnt bring myself to own a "family" car, still miss the extra 2 doors from the nav tho.

Picked up the Patrol tonight. Has been raining so I'll post some pics tomorrow. All went well with the delivery, no dents, 1 up on the Nav, Gearbox has all the cogs, so thats 2 up on the Nav.
Only had 8k's on the odometer so thats a + too. First impressions after knocking up the first 100k's.
Brakes are inferior to the Nav, but may bed in OK.
Handles like a bucket of snot, but is more supple/comfortable than the Nav, should be interesting to see how it response to new shocks and springs.
Interior build quality/finish far better than the KC.
Seats are firmer, but much more supportive.
No mid/high range power.
Auto is a dumb blonde.

to be continued.....................

I picked up my Xtrail last week, so I am officially not a Nav owner any more :(

Initial impressions of the new car are pretty good. 7.3L/100km average after 2000km. Build quality that puts the (Japanese build) D22 to shame, quiet, comfortable, compliant on the crappy roads I drive daily, as good as you can expect handling wise with the compliance and performance that is really a bit of a shock for a diesel!

It is just not a ute!

Here's a pic of the Patrol. Fitted the bullbar yesterday and today I wired in the UHF & driving lights.

Hopefully fit the 3" lift on Friday.

Attachments

• Pootrol.jpg
    Pootrol.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Geez the agapanthus look healthy.
Pfffft tell ya story over on Bore wheel drive action.....
This forum is for a bunch of us sorry saps that got suckered into spending money on the premium Great Wall model. :lol:

I hate you now go away.

:roflmao:

Pfffft tell ya story over on Bore wheel drive action.....
This forum is for a bunch of us sorry saps that got suckered into spending money on the premium Great Wall model. :lol:

I hate you now go away.

:roflmao:

Sorry mate.....

Hey your Donkey must be going OK as you did say you washed a polished it today. Getting ready for a trade in????

PS: Gardens out of control with all this rain, drive way looks F'N ordinary though (Hint for Navarian to finish my quote):sarcastic:

They grow wild along my driveway.......still, means less grass to mow.

Jase - I like the Patrol, nice truck, and will be special when you have added all the gear......but I can't wait to see the Jeep with a big lift and
35" muddies.....C'mon Kattie, be a sport!

Attachments

• DSCF7499.jpg
    DSCF7499.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF7502.jpg
    DSCF7502.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF7505.jpg
    DSCF7505.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 30
They grow wild along my driveway.......still, means less grass to mow.

Jase - I like the Patrol, nice truck, and will be special when you have added all the gear......but I can't wait to see the Jeep with a big lift and
35" muddies.....C'mon Kattie, be a sport!

All I heard all night was "My poor car" "your going to have to fix that tomorrow" "your wearing out my tyres" "the mosies love me more than you"

What was I thinking:suicide2::suicide2:

I like the way Katie has has managed to get a picture of you on each quarter panel of her car.
Oh and I have a couple of car warming presents for you......
yellow-pages-booster-seat.jpg

And

1-step-ladder.jpg

I like the way Katie has has managed to get a picture of you on each quarter panel of her car.
Oh and I have a couple of car warming presents for you......
yellow-pages-booster-seat.jpg

And

1-step-ladder.jpg

Now thats funny:sarcastic:

But very true :sad: sux being vertically challenged. I might buy one of these to look more in proportion.

Attachments

• sumo.jpg
    sumo.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 27
Not the size of the dog in the fight though Jase.

All shit aside.
Envious.

They are truly great looking agapanthus. :lol:

And If you lift the bugger 3" then those steps will come in handy for most everyone if your looking at putting racks on it.

Latest posts

Back