Fuel filter not staying primed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aydan89

Reaction score
G'day fellow Navara owners
I've recently put a new fuel filter in on my 2007 Spanish auto D40 Navara. The first on was a ryco filter and I couldn't keep the fuel primed. I could prime the filter then after about 6 hours or so the priming bulb would be soft again. So I read ryco filters had issues of leaking from underneath so I changed the filter to a genuine one but I'm having the same issue. Seems like it's leaking from the water sensor just like the ryco. I have bled any air out and still no good. Any ideas anyone

Hi there, I assume you used a little bit of diesel on the seal of the new filter and only screwed it on tight-hand-tight ?

You could try some thread tape on the water sensor if you think that is where it's leaking. Make 100% sure no little bits of thread tape will get into the diesel! As below, first try replacing the O-ring on the contamination sensor.

Have also heard about the priming mechanism leaking on some older Navaras, may be worth a look if all other boxes have been ticked.

Last edited:
not sure if your filter is the same as the D-22 filter but if so there is a smaller
o - ring that is used to seal the bottom sensor and if this o-ring is squashed it will cause an air leak in the fuel system. alot of dealers don,t sell this o -r ing with the fuel filter which they should do, take off the sensor and see if there is a black o - ring approx 35mm in diameter i think fitted on the threaded part of this sensor, if there is try a new one. and yes lube the o-ring seals before fitting up.

What problems is this causing for you? My d40 is doing a similar thing.

D40 filters are notorious for this. It's the small inner seal, usually, which doesn't sit perfectly (it has to, but doesn't). A small amount of clean diesel on it does help. Aftermarket filters seem to be more prone to this but some members here have had good success with them. I guess it comes down to being particularly careful with that inner seal.

There have been a few people complaining of this and it turned out to be a primer bulb with cracks in the surface. Because the fuel system at this point is under vacuum and not pressure stuff can only get sucked in, fuel generally doesn't leak out. Because this point is higher than the fuel tank (and there's no one-way valve just before the filter), fuel can drain all the way back to the tank.

Starting can become difficult and cranking the engine for excessive periods of time can weaken the battery significantly. It also strains the starter - we're talking about 500-550 amps at work!

Hi all..
I had same issue about 15 mths ago or so... so i went i to my local 4x4 mechanic and got a oneway valve which I installed by cutting fuel line just before it enters fuel filter and that stopped the drainning back into the tank and no mis-starts...
if i remember correctly it cost me $25.
Hope that helps...

Never would of thought of the bulb being the problem. Went to my local nissan$161 for a new bulb or $135 for a used one. I'm a bit worried about the quality of the cheap eBay bulbs. Thanks for the help though

Hi all..
I had same issue about 15 mths ago or so... so i went i to my local 4x4 mechanic and got a oneway valve which I installed by cutting fuel line just before it enters fuel filter and that stopped the drainning back into the tank and no mis-starts...
if i remember correctly it cost me $25.
Hope that helps...
Which side does it go on?
2x pipes out of primer

Latest posts

Back