Fuel consumption.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The D40 actually sits rather nicely at 130km/h with a 1.8T van behind it and will happily do 140km/h on country roads (remember the Merriwa run?). We are passing 140km/h trying to catch you guys on the Merriwa run (on the narrow tar/dirt road) and she still had plenty of pedal left.

Only thing is, they absolutely suck the juice down when you drive 'em like that.

Yeah you caught up that day quick.

Heard from Craig ?

I lost his number otherwise Id text him.

Hi all, I've heard a bit of talk about using an injector cleaner in the diesel fuel regularly. I've had my d22 (230,000Km) for just over a year now. Should I be using an injector cleaner in the fuel, and if so, how often would you recomend?

Cheers,

Jeff

I run it through mine every few tanks.

Put some in and tow a caravan or loaded car trailer and really get her working and she will be better on fuel afterwards as the injectors are really working when its loaded up.

2010 D22 ST-R 2.5 Dual Cab 3000k's

61 litres for 673k's.
Shade over 9L per 100k's or 30.5mpg in the old language
Run was from Jerramungup (great southern WA) back to Perth sitting on 100kph, approx 500k's, balance city driving.

Very impressed all round with the Nav.
Splinter.

Fuel Economy

2006 STR ZD30DDT Manual.
Not sure about exact figures but recently went from Craigieburn in Melbourne to Marulan south of Sydney before i had to refuel and the tank was almost full when i left Melbourne but not quite.the nav was fully loaded with camping gear so i had a fair load onboard.it never missed a beat .only had it for 3 months and could not be happier with it. by the way the nav is stock other than towbar i had fitted and driving lights and has no engine mods.

i am currently getting about 14lt/100kms in a 2008 2.5cr str. Have had a 2 3/4 inch mandrel bent exhaust system installed with new dump pipe. cant get better economy. has anyone got any tips or hints or good mechanics to check the ute out (in victoria). running mickey thompson mtz 265/75/r16 and 2" lift kit, no snorkel yet.
cheers.

Last edited:
Don your STR ought to be able to do a little better. The tyres will make it use a little more, because they're harder to turn over (bigger wheels = longer lever). You should still be able to get it down around the 11LPHK mark (highway) though.

The killer on the highway is too much speed. Sure, you get somewhere earlier, but if you're not in a rush, drop your cruising speed to about 90-95km/h (as displayed on a GPS, not your speedo). That will save you some fuel as well.

The other killer is weight in traffic. A heavy vehicle takes a lot of fuel to get moving and if you're city driving for Mon-Fri, it might pay to empty the tub of the weekend gear. I don't, personally - I am at work at the moment, car's in the car park, and the tub has the Engel, recovery gear, tools and generator sitting in it. It's not a killer for me because the traffic isn't bad here - 10 minutes after I get into my car I'm home, which is nice.

One modification that you might pursue is the EGR mod - this is a valve that forces exhaust gas into the combustion chamber to dampen the combustion temperatures, reducing the amount of nitrogen oxides produced. Search the forum for "EGR" and look for the D22 thread - there's a complete how-to in there.

thanks for the tips, will look into injectors and keep trying some slower driving also. almost everytime i drive its for at least 100plus km's so should hopefully find some results.

2002 D22 DX

9.1l/100 to and from work (Canberra, so not really 'city' driving). Also this is winter, so the air is dense and cold! My turbo road car goes like a bullet in winter here.

It gets a mixture of soft driving and some harder driving.

Only mods is a snorkel, catch can and egr blanking plate. I also run with the swirl control disabled, but am thinking about trying it back on, to see if low end improves a touch. I did notice .5l/100 improvement with the snorkel on.

I reckon mine will be better this week. Been out in kangaroo and wombat prone areas and had heaps of fog.

Post above, you dont drive it much mate going by the km's.

First tank with the chip installed and i got 10.3L/100Km
id say 50% city highway, and the highway driving was all done at 105Km/h

Its a 2004 ZD30 with 197000ish Kms on the clock

2010 build, 2011 purchase and get 10lph on a good day, think the best ever was around 9.7lph.

Mitch

Last edited:
I got 10.26L/100km's. Had to dodge about 20 wombats last night again.

The HID's go good in the fog.

Yeah but I have only ever seen it go over 11L/100km's about 3 times.

On Stockton sand dunes, towing a EH on a very heavy car trailer it got 12.87L/100km's from memory and mid 11's towing a car trailer and 180SX with a heap of spares.

I have towed loaded car trailers and its done 10.57L, even coming up Mooney Mooney etc.

The ZD's dont vary that much in fuel usuage.

The YD's do as there fuel system is capable of heaps of different adjustments.

I've only seen mine higher than 12 with the cattle trailer and 3.5 tonnes of load on the back and even then according to scangauge on the flats with constant speed I was able to get it below 12's at times but overall the few trips I've done with the cattle trailer on the back have averaged about 16-18. With the sprayer trailer or the general trailer economy is hardly effected, the boat puts it between 10.5 and 11.5 but then the boat is only about 700kgs I think.

Back