Fraser island trip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim_148

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm planning a trip to Fraser in early February, was just wondering if winches are a necessity or I can get away without having one, gonna get some maxtrax, just want to avoid having to spend a load more money for a winch if I dont need one? Thanks!

I'd say not needed.

Drop tyre pressures and keep a few 6 packs in the car if you need anyone to snatch you out :p

Mate, I'm over there about once a month. I haven't got a lift as yet so am running standard suspension and have been all over the island. I have only been stuck once which a good push got me out of. Drop tyre pressure, and watch out for tides. Definitely no need for a winch. Enjoy it.

winch is probably going to be like taking an anchor, what are you going to winch from if you get stuck on the beach? maxtrax are really good just don't spin your wheels on them or lend them to some random, mine got destroyed by a combination of those two factors :/

just be careful/respectful and enjoy the place.

No worries thanks guys! Good info, first time over there so I have no idea, I have heard of those sand anchors for the winch but I don't know how good they are, yeah I'll definitely get tracks, and what pressure for the tyres? Around 20 psi?

I was just there for a wk from boxing day to new years and had a great time, went right up to the sandy cape and did all of the main lakes and kingfisher resort and what not...... Had my tyres at 20 also and had no probs, the sands really good over there and only a few tracks are really soft..... Have a good trip

Is the track out of kingfisher still a c**t Sunny Coaster? cause when I was there a few years ago they hadn't fixed the damage from the tour busses so there were drop offs about 1.2m deep on the right side and the left side wasn't much better, some japanese tourists were going to use it with a CRV :yeahright:

Last edited:
Love Fraser Island Winches are not a must have but they come in handy if you have one 90% of the time you will never need it but if you were like me and get stuck my luck was i had a great time digging myself out because no body was around lol.

Yeah mate the track for the last few hundred meters is still pretty bad, leaving is a bit worse than getting in but you will have no problems what so ever as I saw a xtrail make it through, didnt sound to good but it made it. pretty much stayed in 2wd on the beach most of the time and went to 4wd on the tracks, the tracks into eurong and happy valley are pretty hard packed as well..... The best fun was heading right up to the Sandy Cape for a day, some fun little rocky sections and some pretty soft sand but well worth it for pure white sand and crystal clear water

The worst i saw was at inskip going to the barge the sand was very sof 4 in a row stuck also that track to kingfisher was real bad very soft with drop offs i was on 18psi suprised the xtrail made it

Haha yeah I saw a few stuck there as well on boxing day, 1 of the access tracks to start the trek to kingfisher was really soft also, I love double island but spending the extra coin for Fraser is worth every penny, the Sandy Cape was better than postcard material.... leaving kingfisher there is a pretty big rutted out step up, only reason the xtrail made it is because he cut across the track and went round....

Sunny Coaster if you like Fraser you should check out Moreton Island as well if you haven't already been over there, not as much to do but its still just as nice and like 1/10th the people.

Sweet! Thanks guys! I'll be taking a full tank of fuel and an extra 25 liters just incase, hopefully that will be enough! Bought the maxtrax yesterday, so that's all good! I'll be there with the mrs around the 7th 8th maybe stayin for about 4 days more if we are enjoying it!

Latest posts

Back