Finally Giving up on my Nissan Navaras

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderer

Reaction score
In 2004 I bought an STR optioned with leather, arb bar, etc etc. Loved it ! So in 2008 Upgraded to nmy STX which is greatly setup for touring & 4wd'ing.

I have the followin unrepaired issues im going back to nissan for
  • Hard lid leaking - 4th repair on it
  • Rattle under acelerations - numerous aqttemptsa already
  • Gas stuts to hard lid failing
  • Bolts and screw to hard lid rusted
  • Silver flaking off all interior bits

In the 2 1/2 yrs of ownership I had the following done :
  1. Dash ratlles repairs
  2. Tailshaft front & rear seals replaced
  3. Clutch replaced
  4. Flywheel replaced
  5. Gearbox mounts replaced
  6. Uni joints replaced
  7. Ignition barrel changed
  8. Speedo recalibrated
  9. Scratcehs from new never fixed
  10. Tray liner not over the top of tub as specified
We have 3 toyotas in the company and not one issue with any of them.

Pitty as i LOVE nissans, but cant get over the unreliability. I was going to get a new patrol for the misses so we could have 3 nissans. But now have no choice I think but go toyota.... Anyone else have ideas as I love my ute but hate it now too......

If you hate the car you may never find a way to love it. Some cars just have things go wrong with them and annoy the piss out of you constantly - sounds like another recent poster - there's no point trying to fix it, buy something else and move on.

The thing is, you could buy something as bad or worse. Going back isn't easy, the trade-in will be sold off to an auction company, you'll lose significant value in the vehicle as it exits the showroom, and most of all there's personal pride - it's quite a wound that opens up when you rage about an object that doesn't do what you want, and the replacement is worse and all you can think about is that in hindsight, the devil you knew was actually better.

Good luck with your choice. If you're buying a Toyota, I hope you don't have to haul 3T. Have you thought about Mishitibus?

I have also had heaps of problems with my 08 D22, from rust, paint flaking off interior to engine rattles, it was like pulling teeth trying to get Nissan Australia and the dealership to fix it under new car warranty. Unfortunately i am now stuck with this vehicle for a while now that was bought from one of the worlds top car company's. I have grown up with Nissan's from the start of my driving age with 120y bush bashers to R32and 34 GTR's but Navara's are piece's of crap, i wish i had swallowed my pride and drove others cause i wouldn't be driving a Nav now. Sad to say but i would have to make Toyota my first choice then Isuzu Dmax, then Mitsi Triton. But if i had to buy the ultimate i would get the new Volkswagen Amarok, i drove one last week and they have heaps of power, quiet engine, great interior, well engineered and built, but pricey. Would love to see one wilt some steelies, mud tyres and a lift kit. You never hear of any problems with Toyotas would be a smart choice.

If you hate the car you may never find a way to love it. Some cars just have things go wrong with them and annoy the piss out of you constantly - sounds like another recent poster - there's no point trying to fix it, buy something else and move on.

The thing is, you could buy something as bad or worse. Going back isn't easy, the trade-in will be sold off to an auction company, you'll lose significant value in the vehicle as it exits the showroom, and most of all there's personal pride - it's quite a wound that opens up when you rage about an object that doesn't do what you want, and the replacement is worse and all you can think about is that in hindsight, the devil you knew was actually better.

Good luck with your choice. If you're buying a Toyota, I hope you don't have to haul 3T. Have you thought about Mishitibus?

:dito: im glad you said it and said it so well if i do say so. handled much better then me thats for sure hehehe :congrats:

I have also had heaps of problems with my 08 D22, from rust, paint flaking off interior to engine rattles, it was like pulling teeth trying to get Nissan Australia and the dealership to fix it under new car warranty. Unfortunately i am now stuck with this vehicle for a while now that was bought from one of the worlds top car company's. I have grown up with Nissan's from the start of my driving age with 120y bush bashers to R32and 34 GTR's but Navara's are piece's of crap, i wish i had swallowed my pride and drove others cause i wouldn't be driving a Nav now. Sad to say but i would have to make Toyota my first choice then Isuzu Dmax, then Mitsi Triton. But if i had to buy the ultimate i would get the new Volkswagen Amarok, i drove one last week and they have heaps of power, quiet engine, great interior, well engineered and built, but pricey. Would love to see one wilt some steelies, mud tyres and a lift kit. You never hear of any problems with Toyotas would be a smart choice.

i know heaps of people with toyota's and all most all of them have had issues, from injectors to axles and suspension and more.
my old d22 did 350,000km, and didnt miss a beat. it never went back to nissan for 1 thing in the five yrs i owned it.
i think if you dig deep enough you can always find good and bad on any make or model.

Last edited:
100 000 on my d22. nothing wrong with it. personally tho, with regular service things shouldn't go wrong. but then there are things that do go wrong, which sometimes can't be helped. One things for sure tho. In all the cars and fourbies i've owned, including my whole family. we have always taken them to our mechanic. never a dealership mechanic. wouldn't want a spastic touching my Nav.

Yeah never taken it to nissan. Dont trust them. Im surprised that seems the list of warranty repairs in 2 1/2 years doesnt freak people out ? Now my wife & friends wouldnt trust going away in it as twice has left us stranded in the middle of no where.....

Is this normal ? We have a 2001 merc knock on wood hasnt missed a beat, and the boys at work give me heaps cause the Hilux's are 97, 04 & 08 models, the two new ones have not had 1 item fixed under warranty ?

Is this normal issues with Nissan from what I'm reading ?

My D22 did have alot less issues I must say.

Don't get me wrong but their always a good one built on a Wednesday and a crap one built on a Friday.I bought a Nissan S14 brand new in 1995 and it was gutless as all hell, even after big mods, sold that and picked up another 1995 S14 with no mods and it was a gun, guess it was built on a Wednesday. General rule of thumb in the crash repair industry, NEVER PICK YOUR CAR UP ON A FRIDAY ARVO cause it's always rushed. Again on saying that hardly any customers check their vehicles when they pick them up anymore. But the Malaysian built Navaras are total rubbish, theirs always a reason why they dropped the price.

100 000 on my d22. nothing wrong with it. personally tho, with regular service things shouldn't go wrong. but then there are things that do go wrong, which sometimes can't be helped. One things for sure tho. In all the cars and fourbies i've owned, including my whole family. we have always taken them to our mechanic. never a dealership mechanic. wouldn't want a spastic touching my Nav.

True, they are young lads paid with peanuts.

I can totally understand your feelings towards Nissan Aus.They pretty much will deny everything and try anything to avoid spending any money to repair their own faults.All I can say is all manufacturers are the same.
I ended up taking Nissan to court to get my paint fixed. Touch wood I have had no mechanical issues other than annoying squeeling belts etc.
My gas struts failed a while ago and I just bought new ones for about $60.
At the end of the day the Navara is one of the better trucks on the market and is the only one with a big cab. The others are all smaller.
We now are covered by lemon laws so legally we have a better standing when things turn to custard.
Hate to say it but some vehicles are just scrap and others arent.Its a hit and miss at best.

I can totally understand your feelings towards Nissan Aus.They pretty much will deny everything and try anything to avoid spending any money to repair their own faults.All I can say is all manufacturers are the same.
I ended up taking Nissan to court to get my paint fixed. Touch wood I have had no mechanical issues other than annoying squeeling belts etc.
My gas struts failed a while ago and I just bought new ones for about $60.
At the end of the day the Navara is one of the better trucks on the market and is the only one with a big cab. The others are all smaller.
We now are covered by lemon laws so legally we have a better standing when things turn to custard.
Hate to say it but some vehicles are just scrap and others arent.Its a hit and miss at best.

Paul - are you able to point me to a site where I can read the 'Lemon Laws' - tried Mr Google and failed.

Don't get me wrong but their always a good one built on a Wednesday and a crap one built on a Friday.I bought a Nissan S14 brand new in 1995 and it was gutless as all hell, even after big mods, sold that and picked up another 1995 S14 with no mods and it was a gun, guess it was built on a Wednesday. General rule of thumb in the crash repair industry, NEVER PICK YOUR CAR UP ON A FRIDAY ARVO cause it's always rushed. Again on saying that hardly any customers check their vehicles when they pick them up anymore. But the Malaysian built Navaras are total rubbish, theirs always a reason why they dropped the price.

Are any of the Navaras made in Malaysia.....I thought all were made in either Spain or Thailand??

Guess my D40 must've been built on a Wednesday.......no problems other than the torque converter which was done around the 1500km mark.

I always said mine was built on a Friday.
Biggest Bucket O sht I could have owned and I have even owned a ford or 2!!!!!!

The moment you use it not flog it it cracks the sads and breaks down even somethign totally unrelated will fail.
I have had my rig 18 months and its been back at least 7 times for various warranty fixes.
The clutch got replaced in March done only 7000km and is due for another already and I have taken it out bush once since it was replaced and I dont even ride the clutch.
The worst part is D40s are the nicest rig on the market but I wont take mine out in the middle of no where as I know it wont make it back!!!

down time with no rig means no work missing out on making money.
Would really appreciate it if someone took it out of my driveway without me knowing I must admit. Id be dreaming if someone would consider buying it off me.

mate I cross many navara & hilux owners on sites. Not many unhappy hilux owners on building sites, heaps of pissed navara and rodeo owners.

By end of the week I'll be putting a deposit on a FJ Cruiser !! No more Navaras for me !!

Ive noticed since Nissan stopped making the Navara in Japan they have gone down hill from there. I have one of the last Japanese Navaras and the only thing I have replaced in the last 2 years is a rear tail light.

Back