Engine Swap Recomendations

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russty1

Reaction score
G'day all, brand new member, impressive site, great info on a great vehicle.
Maybe someone here can help me make up my mind, wether to replace my ageing 93 v6 d21 ti that has never let me down in all the years I've owned it with a 4x2 d40 auto or drop in a late model Nissan v6 and auto and give it a new lease on life, 'cause I don't really want to get rid of it as it's a great car that suits me just fine.
I drove a couple of v6 d40's and really liked them too, so can't make up my mind.
Any help would be more than welcome. Thanks all.:cheers!:

Last edited:
Welcome, the D40 will be more comfortable and more powereful.

The other option is drop a VQ35DE into the Navara or a SR20DET.

Dave.

Actually there is a thread on PCOA of a guy who dropped a VH41DE into a R50 Pathfinder, apparently it wasn't a hard swap.

If it was me Id go the VH45DE into the D21 if you wanna swap the motor.

Dave.

I have a D40 V6 auto 2005 done 85,000 kms. Towed a 18ft van over east and back no probs. If you can get your hands on one grab it . I recomend it. At 196 kws its got good power but fuel when towing cost me 20 litres per 100 km.
Only problem at the moment is It has a electrical fault and wont run.......oh well nothings perfect.

G'day all, brand new member, impressive site, great info on a great vehicle.
Maybe someone here can help me make up my mind, wether to replace my ageing 93 v6 d21 ti that has never let me down in all the years I've owned it with a 4x2 d40 auto or drop in a late model Nissan v6 and auto and give it a new lease on life, 'cause I don't really want to get rid of it as it's a great car that suits me just fine.
I drove a couple of v6 d40's and really liked them too, so can't make up my mind.

As much as I'm biased towards swapping something into the D21, I suspect it might be a car you depend on for work or similar. My advice would be to buy a second hand D40, second hand because then you don't feel completely violated every time something breaks that shouldn't and you don't have to whip Nissan to make them honour warranty claims.

Whilst a swap into a D21 would be a rewarding project, it's also a truckload of work, and cost, and legal crap just to get an old vehicle with a new engine that makes mechanics scratch their heads and complain because it's not what the factory wheeled out.If you drive it to work or use it at work, don't do it. If it's a second car for towing, camping and the like, DO IT.

Thanks guys, had a look at some different sites and engines to fit........if only I had the spare time and didn't use it almost daily, the finished article would be a lot of fun,especially if it was kept a sleeper.
Looks like a D40 will be the next best thing. I liked the one I test drove, it was a 2wd 6cyl auto, very comfy, quiet and plenty of grunt, low k's for a touch under $27,000.
Just have to talk myself into taking the plunge I guess, in the mean time I will attempt to post a couple of pics of my D21, after a bath on the weekend. Thanks for the help fellas. :cheers!:

I have a D40 V6 auto 2005 done 85,000 kms. Towed a 18ft van over east and back no probs. If you can get your hands on one grab it . I recomend it. At 196 kws its got good power but fuel when towing cost me 20 litres per 100 km.
Only problem at the moment is It has a electrical fault and wont run.......oh well nothings perfect.

Ha Ha, think of the money you're saving on fuel mate...............sorry, the devil made me do it!! :devil:

Back