Engine Block ID Number- Access ideas?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faz

Reaction score
I've recently purchased an unregistered 2013 STX 550 from a Nissan dealership in Victoria with 900km on the clock and attempted to get it registered in Adelaide. Local requirements involve reading the engine block number, however the number in stamped on a part of the engine which is covered by other components and only the last 2 numbers are visible. The inspector has requested a photo of the number on a Nissan letterhead to enable him to approve the registration, but this involves removing a heap of parts. Nissan customer service have said the vehicle complies with the ADR requirements and to use the sticker in the engine bay which shows the engine number. In addition to showing the inspector the sticker Ive also shown them a copy of the sales contract and a print out from Nissans national technical data about the vehicle but the inspector won't accept it. Has anyone else had trouble with this before?

Thanks for the reply Joe2006- I've looked at them on Ebay earlier and reckon the length of the camera will be an issue as with the focal distance (min 25mm). This will be an issue for pretty much anyone who needs to re register a Nav with a v6 3l engine. I've looked into it for SA and it looks like the dealerships only need a tier 1 inspection which can be carried out by an internal "authorised person" i.e use Nissans paperwork to get the engine number, but after that a tier 2 inspection is required as in my case where the government inspectors want to physically see the number regardless of what paperwork you can produce.

Last edited:
Personally I'd be getting the Nissan dealership to process it, rather than putting up with some anal retentive guy who thinks if he's been given a little bit of power, he needs to exercise it as much as possible.

Managed to get registration approval today from Regency Park (motor ID departement) but it took a lot of persistence and determination- They basically held their ground and told us to pull the engine apart to expose the engine block number. The turning point seemed to come when compliance with the ADR was mentioned and that we needed the name of a contact to send correspondence to so we could show the ombudsman we'd attempted to resolve the issue directly with Services SA/ Motor Reg prior to lodging a complaint. They came back and said they'd accept the Nissan Technical Data print out only because it was a demo/ new car, but had it been a used car then the answer was a flat no. I guess this is a warning to SA (poss other states as well) buyers trying to register 2nd hand unregistered (local or interstate) Navs with the V6 3l engine- there are some huge hidden costs!

Back