Engel thermal fuse

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathanJG

Reaction score
Engel thermal fuse removal

I have just bought a Engel socket, so I can unscrew the ciggy plug on the fridge cord and plug the two prongs inside straight into the socket. In doing this I am removing the thermal fuse from the circuit. My question is, should I still be putting a regular, say blade fuse, on the power lead near the battery? The bloke at TJM reckons a lot of people don't bother, although I am thinking I should. If so, what size fuse should I use? (The fridge has a 10A fuse on it.)

Last edited:
I'd use a 10A fuse. The fridge may not draw more than 4A peak - but if there's a problem with the fridge, the 10A will blow quickly enough. It also won't heat up much to provide any resistance (hot wire increases electrical resistance) so 10A is a good choice.

I've run mine like that for over a year with no probs, i leave the thermal fuse plug in the console.60 liter Engel.
I think i'm running a 7 amp fuse from memory in the fuse box for the fridge.
Too low?

Not really, Ian. Even a 5A fuse is enough and won't heat up a great deal. If you have a 7A fuse it will work just fine.

In fact, to blow a 5A fuse in quick order you need to draw 15-20A through it (otherwise it takes time to heat the wire enough to melt).

Latest posts

Back