EGR blanking plate?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there are heaps of threads on this but to quickly answer your question,my understanding the engine recycles some of the used air (exhaust gas) so what it does is for eg use 1 part exhaust gas and 2 parts fresh air from your intake.so all its doing is putting filthy air into youir engine and clogging it up over a long period.blocking plate stops that and lets the engine only run on good fresh air.
the super thread has alot more detailed info.

I am not a guru on this by any means so one of the more experienced guys can add or correct me..,

EGR is the exhaust gas recirculation process which is apparently needed to meet emissions standards.. It works by recycling the exhsust gasses back into the cylinders.. Which somehow reduces emissions, however it is not exactly tge best thing for the enginr it reduces performance and economy etc.. So an EGR blanking plate ( i have no idea wat it looks like or exactly how it works) just stops that process from occurring so the engine just gets clean air rather then a mixture of fresh air and recycled rxhaust gas

haha.
this is a pic of factory gasket and one i made to block it.

Attachments

• IMG_1241[1].jpg
    IMG_1241[1].jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 308
It is an emission control device, as said above.

The combustion process - in petrol or diesel engines - will create oxides of nitrogen if the combustion temperatures are high enough.

If you introduce exhaust gas, you actually dampen the combustion so that it doesn't burn as hot, the fuel doesn't burn as completely and less oxides are produced. That satisfies the emission control beancounters.

However, it does reduce the efficiency of your engine. Dampening the combustion process means precisely what it says: your combustion process is dampened, meaning it's being hindered!

People who install EGR blanking plates say that they experience less sooty emissions (as a result of the better combustion), slightly more power and slightly better economy.

There is another form of EGR - and it's a lot higher levels too - coming from the crankcase breather. This stuff - with engine oil vapour added - is directed into the air intake just in front of your turbocharger. A catch can will remove the oil but the law requires that you return the exhaust gas from the catch can to the air intake.

I am not suggesting that you vent this directly to atmosphere - because that'd be breaking the law - but venting it would remove the exhaust gas from entering the intake manifold completely, and give you all the power your engine is capable of without chipping it, changing the exhaust, air filter, turbocharger, intercooler ... things you have to spend large $ on!

So, in theory mind you, where would one look to acquire such devices? I assume Nissan would be unimpressed to find them on the new truck at first service?

I asked my mechanic about egr blanking and he told me
Its illegal so if i want it done in darwin im going to have to learn more and do it myself or find someone who can do it

Latest posts

Back