Dodgy ground connection?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgermasi

Reaction score
We went camping over the long weekend and I noticed that my batteries (2x 55Ah gel) were getting a bit low by running a 60Lt ARB fridge and a couple of led lights.
I took the car for a drive of about 3 hours but the batteries were still struggling after a couple of hours back at camp.

Today I checked the connections and I found that I had about 380 ohms between main- and aux-
I had my aux- connected to the tub and found also 360 ohms between main- and tub but i had 1.1 ohms between main- and rear wheel carrier
So I connected and earth strap from chassis to tub and now I have 1.1 ohm between main- and aux-.

What i don't understand is what was caused by the high ground resitance, batteries not charging properly or drawing to much power from them?

Any help to understand what was happening will be great.

Thanks guys
Maximus

It's possibly some minor corrosion. May have just been coincidental to the trip, or it might have been induced by the current flowing through the join.

Chassis to body connections aren't electrically perfect. It's for that reason that I've got both positive and negative running all the way down and up into the tub.

Latest posts

Back