Diff rebuild time... bracing myself

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rastik86

Reaction score
Evening trend setters.

So in short my rear diff is whining and whirring like a 1997 Falcon Melbourne cab driven by Raj on his cousin Suresh's taxi licence.

So I can brace myself, does anyone know what a diff joint charges to rebuild a D22 ZD30 diff roughly?

Cheers

Got to be plenty sitting around. They come up cheap from time to time on here.

Yeah I've had a scout on evilBay and they range from 250 to 1500. Much better than 3 grand for a rebuild.

Hey bud I know money is tight from time to time but just remember this saying I was told a while ago. Here who pays half, pays twice.
Make sure if you spend 1500 on a second hand diff its has a good warranty mate.

Hey bud I know money is tight from time to time but just remember this saying I was told a while ago. Here who pays half, pays twice.
Make sure if you spend 1500 on a second hand diff its has a good warranty mate.

A mate's uncle actually owns a diff joint not far away so I am waiting on a price from him, cause if I can find a middle ground between a second hand diff and 3 grand then it might be worth the investment.

With the second hand diffs I'm more looking at the Ks they've done rather than the price. It's a gamble, but 3 grand is a lot of money to rebuild a diff at 200000ks that others have got twice that on and still going strong.

So with a $700 difference between a low km second hand diff and mates of mates rates on the rebuild/diff centre changeover, I opted to invest in the rebuild/centre changeover.

Rather fork out the extra $700 and have a brand new diff centre than be in the same boat sooner rather than later. 12 month / 20000km warranty.

The 1000km run in period is gonna suck but, seen as they said not to go over 80km/h and I live off the Hume Fwy and country roads.

so has anyone pulled your diff apart to see whats going on?
im actually in the process of getting my diff rebuild in my 06 d22.
mine is only costing me about $2200. that's with all new bearings and brand new ARB diff lock. was pretty much the same price to get a locker as it was to get the diff centre rebuild.

I did have a second hand diff that it got given to me from a mate that had worked at the a panel beaters and all that was wrong with it was a bent housing.
but then when my mechanic pulled it apart it actually had the same thing wrong with the centre, that my original one did.

I got the diff lock from ARB for 950 that was a good price because they retail for 1200. (didn't come with compressor though)
then it was going to cost my about $1200 for my mechanic to install it and replace all bearings. ( I am plumbing and wiring the locker up my self)
I live in Tassie so there might be a price differents
there.

so has anyone pulled your diff apart to see whats going on?
im actually in the process of getting my diff rebuild in my 06 d22.
mine is only costing me about $2200. that's with all new bearings and brand new ARB diff lock. was pretty much the same price to get a locker as it was to get the diff centre rebuild.

I did have a second hand diff that it got given to me from a mate that had worked at the a panel beaters and all that was wrong with it was a bent housing.
but then when my mechanic pulled it apart it actually had the same thing wrong with the centre, that my original one did.

I got the diff lock from ARB for 950 that was a good price because they retail for 1200. (didn't come with compressor though)
then it was going to cost my about $1200 for my mechanic to install it and replace all bearings. ( I am plumbing and wiring the locker up my self)
I live in Tassie so there might be a price differents
there.

The bearings were toast, clutches had disintegrated, the wave washer had busted and the LSD was stuffed. Bits of these were making their way around the diff and through the gears. It was "messy to say the least".

They basically built a brand new diff centre from scratch.

The pinion and crown gear alone is $1400 from Nissan.

For me unfortunately it wasn't just a matter of replacing bearings and parts. Nothing could be salvaged from the centre. The only original parts are the axles and housing lol.

oh ok so your pinion and crown was stuff to. mine had a little wear on it but he the second hand diff was in good condition so i'll you them

Latest posts

Back