D22 drivetrain sounds like a machine gun

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satchiel

Reaction score
First post, but regular lurker on the forum after buying a 2008 D22 9 months back - which is my first foray back into diesel 4x4's since an old POS dual diesel/LPG F350 work ute I used to drive 15 years ago. D22 had 354k on the clock at purchase (at a reasonable price), checked over soundly & drove well, & had a solid service history to 2008...

Since buying, it hasn't missed a beat apart from a few bits & pieces needing swap-out/repair (replacement battery, replacement windscreen due to a few chips, tig-welding for a leaking intercooler). & despite having semi-neglected some of the finer service aspects over the ~15k driven so far (still learning up, as am far better with petrol engines in cars than diesel), have only used for highway driving (no towing/heavy loads, or even opportunities to off-road in 4wd yet). So, began to panic a little when the drivetrain started producing a loud machine-gun chatter under acceleration between about 1500-3000rpm, which disappeared immediately when backing off the accelerator. Being time-poor, I dropped straight in to the local mechanic to diagnose & do a full service, & they came back that the centre bearing had collapsed - so, had them replace the centre bearing & 3 uj's, do full service (belts, injector clean, oil filter & oil, fuel filter & additives, diff oil etc etc)...but when I picked up, was told the rear diff was also likely due an overhaul ($$$). Whilst the Nav felt sturdier in general on the drive home, the machine-gun clatter seems as bad, if not worse. than when I first dropped it off - especially around the 80km mark at about the 2000rpm mark.

Long story short, does the above sound like a rear diff dying (no discernible diff whine), or something else?? My D22 has 4in of lift with 33" tyres, & have read through previous posts about possible tail shaft imbalance & lift issues, & hoping to avoid a rear diff rebuild if I can avoid it? Timing chain also replaced 80k ago (& sound not constant), & injectors now cleaned & checked so shouldn't be injector rattle (sound's backward, not forward)? Any sterling advice will be a huge help?

i had a death rattle happen when alternater clutch pulley went . sound would stop when backing off accelerator, if you do a visual while someone operates the gas pedal you will see tensioner missbehaving , carefully check all the idler pulleys make a stethascope carefully touch each retainer bolt with large screw driver and put your ear on handle(or use a1/2 inch hose)you will hear a grind if bearings are dry

timeing chain?? stripped con rod bearing ?

i would pull the diff and inspect.
by mem the 2008 had diff issues (wrong oil?) and also some of the first ones had higher ratio diffs which made it a slug.

also do you have free wheeling hubs? they removed the lockable hubs in some versions and flogged out front prop shaft is not uncommon.

Latest posts

Back