d40 oil filter replacement write up?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drain oil,
put sump plug back
Open the bonnet,
oil filter is on the drivers side, easily accessible from top or bottom,
remove filter
replace filter,
refill oil.

There is little else to it.

Well no it's easy to get to but can be a prick to turn.

I do mine over a pit so getting access from underneath is easy. I tried doing it on stands once and couldn't do it from underneath and I've never had much success from above but some here reckon the top is the way.

Do you do yours laying on the ground?

I found I just couldn't get enough purchase on the the filter laying under the car. Thankfully I don't need to worry about it because I have a pit at my disposal but I've never found an easy way from ground level to get the filter off.

How long does this usually take, it sounds like people are having troubles. And for something that gets done every 7500klms on average seems annoyingly annoying

Dezz

I do mine every 10k, unless you're in the desert dust 90% of your time anything less than 10K is just costing money.

I drain the oil which takes maybe 10 mins until it's dripping rather than streaming, in the mean time I'm checking brakes, other things under the vehicle etc. Then the filter comes off in either a matter of minutes or you fight with it for an hour. I believe most people who have trouble with it have trouble because of how tight the thing becomes not because of gaining access.

Once the sump plug is back in and the filter is on it takes a few minutes to put new oil in and the job is done.

Do you do yours laying on the ground?

I found I just couldn't get enough purchase on the the filter laying under the car. Thankfully I don't need to worry about it because I have a pit at my disposal but I've never found an easy way from ground level to get the filter off.

Yeah mate i do mine lying down if i have to i will use my filter tool to undo it with a short handle' mines not so bad because its got a bit of lift, but when i do my other one which is standed i park it on some blocks,

I found the higher I got it the worse I was, while I was able to lay on the ground with my shoulder on the ground it was more comfortable and felt better but as soon as I lifted my shoulder things became awkward. But I did only try it once, spent about an hour stuffing around until I got the shits up, put oil back in and drove the bastard over to the pits and removed the filter with the car over the pit.

lol, the only good thing about it is you can get under the thing, but yeah it's still a little hard to do.

D40 oil filter location!!..is this a joke or what??

The oil filter position on my D40 2.5 is a fricking joke!...I really cant see how to get at it!!...being 6 foot something with hands to match I can see that I am gunna have a problem changing this thing....lotsa comments on here suggest the best way is to go from under, looks really hard to me..only one suggestion relates to removing the fuel filter first...this looks like the best idea ...anyone else do this?

you could always get your self one of these of flebay, OIL FILTER WRENCH 3 Jaw Reversible.

Makes the oil filter change a breeze, now I look forward to the task.

Yeah, I know that one of those filter wrenches will probably be able to grip and turn the filter but my question was; has anyone tried removing the fuel filter to gain access to the oil filter...are there any issues with doing this?

I use a cat filter strap and a 12 inch extension on my ratchet, this combo makes it easy from up top without removing anything.

Back