D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drive with the tailgate down... improved airflow over the cab and out the tray = increased economy! :driver::idea::idea::idea:

Remove the tailgate altogether, the ute will be shorter have have less area for the airflow to travel.

To answer your question , at 100 kph via the GPS and scanguage engine rpm is 2150 using 8.2 Lts per 100 kilometers and 8.4 Lts per hour

Further to this today
110 kph via GPS and scanguage engine rpm 2380 , 8.9 lts per 100 kilometers and 9.0 lts per hour

That seems spot on with what im getting. The fuel economy readout on the dash is about .5ltr out at around 8l/100 & gets upto 1ltr out when around 10l/100km.

Depending on the road I'm on ie flat,undulating, hilly, steep up, steep down, slight up, slight down etc etc my Scangauge can read anywhere between 0 and 100+ litres per hundred km. The extreme left of that spectrum is idling downhill....the extreme right was travelling over Big Red towing my campertrailer. On I've yet to have extended periods where the instant usage readout is stable at any number. At the end of the trip is the only number that means anything and in my case it is not that good regardless of highway running or whatever. I did a 19000km trip crossing Australia twice (E-W across the Nullabor and W-E across the deserts) - at the end of this trip I got 14.4 ltrs/100 km. Last year I did a trip to Cape York (towing the camper again) all up 9300 km and again got mid 14s. So I've just resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't do any better towing and really don't expect to. The best I can do on long trips not towing and with no off road driving ranges on average between 12.5 and 13.8 - still not too bad for a heavy car.

Instant readouts will never be stable because of the way they are measured and because they aren't actually instant. As you say the only figures that mean anything are those gained at the end of a trip but it also depends a lot on the trip as to how much one can rely on trip data too.

I can fill up at home and travel west to Melbourne do about 160ks and return figures of low 8's and have SG tell me I'm going to get around 1000ks out of a tank. I do the return trip and the economy goes out to 9's and SG suddenly tells me I can get only go less than 900ks. But because neither trip uses anywhere near a full tank the actual distance has the potential to vary greatly depending on how the other 700 odd k's of the tank are done.

It may be good to look at 'almost instant' figures while driving and pat yourself on the back for low economy figures but the figures are really only a small snap shot in time and not always indicative of the entire tank.

Not sure if this has been mention before....
I have been getting around 14l/100km. Lift, bigger tyres, canopy, chip and 3" exhaust, extra fuel tank and auto 2008 D40 Navara.
I have a deal with DP Chip so I replaced the chip with a DP Chip before leaving.
On the way to Finke/Alice with a full load didnt really notice any difference. Was also towing a bike trailer. Anyway returning to Alice from Finke after the bikes had left I hit the road at Kulgera and tossed up whether to fill up. Gave it a miss and headed for Alice at 130kph.
This is when It got interesting. Gauge moved down as usual (very quickly) until I got about 100km into trip. Still at 130kph it began to use less and less fuel where when I got to Alice the gauge showed just under half instead of the dead empty I was expecting.
I had read something about heating a exhaust sensor to clean it properly somewhere on this forum. I think the recommendation was to travel over 80kph hour for 30 minutes.
Anyway after I dropped the trailer off at Port Augusta and returned to Adelaide I was able to measure the fuel more accurately. I am now on very close to 12l/100km.
Any thoughts on this etc. Could be the DP Chip as well but didn't notice a difference prior to leaving Adelaide for Finke.

The exhaust sensor you reference being spoken about is the DPF and really has no bearing on economy other than when it's doing a burn which only happens when required. I've forgotten which models did and didn't have DPF's because mines the only model that concerns me but yes a clogged DPF requires highway speeds (or matched revs) for an undisclosed time dependent on many factors.

But unless the DPF requires a clean driving at highway speeds for anytime doesn't automatically make the filter operate/burn it only operates when it needs to burn as far as I know, sometimes you will see that via a light on the dash otherwise you probably wont even notice it happening.

As for the chip being responsible, I doubt any chip is solely responsible for fuel savings especially DP but others especially DP will suggest otherwise.

With a 3" exhaust, DPF delete, EGR block and an el cheapo chip set at mild and a recent 5000km trip SA to Qld and back with some improvement. Did an ECU reset...much better. Then totally disconnected the battery for a couple of hours to do some welding and now much better. On flat road, no wind...50 to 70 kph getting 7 to 10lph and 90 to 110kph getting 9 to 12lph. OK these are by way of the Scanguage but the previous readings never went below 10lph for slower speeds and sat around 13 or 14 lph at higher speeds. Of course, if I plant the right welly the consumption shoot sup, but again not as much as previously.
BTW since resetting the ECU the engine runs much smoother and quieter as well.

Last edited:
With a 3" exhaust, DPF delete, EGR block and an el cheapo chip set at mild and a recent 5000km trip SA to Qld and back with some improvement. Did an ECU reset...much better. Then totally disconnected the battery for a couple of hours to do some welding and now much better. On flat road, no wind...50 to 70 kph getting 7 to 10lph and 90 to 110kph getting 9 to 12lph. OK these are by way of the Scanguage but the previous readings never went below 10lph for slower speeds and sat around 13 or 14 lph at higher speeds. Of course, if I plant the right welly the consumption shoot sup, but again not as much as previously.
BTW since resetting the ECU the engine runs much smoother and quieter as well.

Just finished a weeks driving after the relearning exercise. Made no difference to economy, but she does seem to be idling and running quiter and more smoothly just as Mintie mentioned.

G'day all
I have recently purchased a new D40 auto, the first tank of diesel returned right on 10 l/100km, mostly short running with one return trip to Adelaide (I live about 80 km south), so am fairly happy with it so far. Turns out that the 2013 Spanish built auto version does not have a DPF.........
Cheers, John

Well after all the mods , 265 tires , winch , bash plate , roof racks ,long range tank , iam still getting 9.8 lts per 100 k on a highway and just a little more around town , over the moon to say the least , when i filled today i was expecting the worst , but iam a very very happy camper

Latest posts

Back