D40 Diesel Bad Brakes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roscoe07

Reaction score
Does anyone understand the following problem. On a D40 Diesel I had spongy brakes. Sitting at the light I could push the pedal to the floor. Decided that I would get master cylinder resleeved. No change. I have bled the brakes twice to no avail. The place that did the cylinder thinks it might be air in the Anti lock system. Has anyone else had this problem. There are no leaks.

Not losing any fluid?
If you are I'd check rear wheel cylinders.
Not, I'd say air.
I don't know the correct procedure. Someone h ere will know.

Sounds like air to me, if there's no leak. Pretty sure one person reported this and had a faulty assist unit (brake booster). ABS sensors won't be an issue, but the ABS unit should be inspected.

Another person that had this exact problem discovered the drum cylinders had perished seals. Have a look at your rear brakes.

Thanks for all that.A bit to think about. Not sure how the Booster can make the pedal go to floor.

Does anyone understand the following problem. On a D40 Diesel I had spongy brakes. Sitting at the light I could push the pedal to the floor. Decided that I would get master cylinder resleeved. No change. I have bled the brakes twice to no avail. The place that did the cylinder thinks it might be air in the Anti lock system. Has anyone else had this problem. There are no leaks.

Had similar experience after car being serviced. Original workshop tried 3 times to rectify brakes that where working efficiently prior to them and at end being told"Its a Navara Thing there all like that" Took it to 2nd workshop who vacuum bled the brake lines and I got my brakes back and even better than previous.
Keeping in mind I am mechanically inept if that is an actual term I have no idea but what ever he did worked and his comment was it still had air in the line.
It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing I can stop when I want to.
WayneD4T

I put the braided lines on mine and now can easily set off the ABS in the dry .Pedal is still softer compared to other cars but you can definitely stop .
I bled the brakes by pushing the pedal in by hand with a bleeder bottle on a slightly open nipple and fluid in the bottle. Dont forget to bleed the load valve in the rear

Its what nissan calls progressive brake pedal..

They feel horrible when stationary, but when its time to stop you will find the wheels will lock up well before you get to 3/4 stroke on the pedal.

The first time I worked on one when they were released. After doing a brake fluid flush I continued to bleed the thing for hours manually thinking it must have air in it.
Jumped in another brand new one in the shop and it felt identical.

What do they do during service on our brakes, so spongy after 3 months then when I pick it up after a service it nearly puts me through the windscreen. Also has anyone had there car transported and then the brakes are even more spongy than normal? Do I just bleed them to get them back to same condition after service?

They probably pressure-washed your discs. Every time my car goes in for a service they put someone on it with a pressure washer blasting away at it, and in particular the front rims (brake dust).

I find the brakes on the navara pretty weak compared to an Isuzu my.mate has. I think it might be the amount of assistance given by the booster? It's just unnerving when you really.need to stomp.quite hard to stop fairly quick

Latest posts

Back