D40 Death rattle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerome4506

Reaction score
Hello to all

My D40 270000km has developed a noise to me it sounds like an old Subaru to my brother in-law it sounds almost like a cylinder miss to the Mechanic it sounds deep in the motor.
The noise isn't there at idle only under load and off load (accelerate decelerate ) Could this be a bearing or could this be a valve or could it be an injector. Any thoughts as i fear the worst.

Cheers

Won't be the injectors if it happens during deceleration, the injectors don't open. Usually, injector problems cause smoking or poor running - if power delivery is still good, and there's little smoke, your injectors are probably ok (but it won't hurt to run a bottle of injector cleaner through a tank).

If it's a 4WD it'll have a harmonic balancer and while I've never heard a report of one breaking, I've heard of a few people who took them out (usually while replacing timing chains). This is located low on the engine on the vehicle's left side.

It could be the chains/guides, but you'd be able to hear that with a mechanic's stethoscope on the front housing.

I wonder if it's something simple like a drive shaft. Before you take it for a drive, jump underneath and wiggle both front and rear drive shafts (both ends of each). If there's any slop at all, that might be your culprit. I tow a lot, so I wear unis out a fair bit, and they do make more noise when there's additional load.

my old g60 did this it was a stripped big end..yours with maybe cracked piston. with my old zephyr it only rattled when you took the foot off the gas but.. could be something else try listening device, garden hose start at ichain over the top and down each side of block

Won't be the injectors if it happens during deceleration, the injectors don't open. Usually, injector problems cause smoking or poor running - if power delivery is still good, and there's little smoke, your injectors are probably ok (but it won't hurt to run a bottle of injector cleaner through a tank).

If it's a 4WD it'll have a harmonic balancer and while I've never heard a report of one breaking, I've heard of a few people who took them out (usually while replacing timing chains). This is located low on the engine on the vehicle's left side.

It could be the chains/guides, but you'd be able to hear that with a mechanic's stethoscope on the front housing.

I wonder if it's something simple like a drive shaft. Before you take it for a drive, jump underneath and wiggle both front and rear drive shafts (both ends of each). If there's any slop at all, that might be your culprit. I tow a lot, so I wear unis out a fair bit, and they do make more noise when there's additional load.
Thanks @ Old. Tony I'll have a look at those unies as I do a lot of towing with heavy trailers on the back I did a diff bearing late last year and that was more prominent off the load, I'll let you know how they are.

Thanks @ Old. Tony I'll have a look at those unies as I do a lot of towing with heavy trailers on the back I did a diff bearing late last year and that was more prominent off the load, I'll let you know how they are.

Ok so I look at the Shraft both ends there is a tiny bit of movement on the back and a tiny bit going into the gear box itself not the uni joint, however I decided to start here up with the hand brake on and no rear wheel movement and load her up an the noise is definitely flywheel forward not gearbox back. With that in mind I have had a lot of problems with the last clutch install. so i might as well give the whole history on the clutch. from new I got about 60000km out of the duel layer and opted for a real clutch and flywheel this clutch started to slip at around 135000km it was just starting to slip under heavy loads but thought I'd just get it done rather then be stuck 12 months down the track the new clutch was a peace of shit lasted 12 moths causing a feeling of water in the tires down the highway replaced this under warranty only to have the next one replaced as i had to stop the car at the lights to put it in gear so they replaced it again under warranty to an Aussi clutch and all seems good or is it ? I must admit the throw out bearing made nose from the get go and to be honest the noise I'm hearing now is very similar what do you think?

Ok so I look at the Shraft both ends there is a tiny bit of movement on the back and a tiny bit going into the gear box itself not the uni joint, however I decided to start here up with the hand brake on and no rear wheel movement and load her up an the noise is definitely flywheel forward not gearbox back. With that in mind I have had a lot of problems with the last clutch install. so i might as well give the whole history on the clutch. from new I got about 60000km out of the duel layer and opted for a real clutch and flywheel this clutch started to slip at around 135000km it was just starting to slip under heavy loads but thought I'd just get it done rather then be stuck 12 months down the track the new clutch was a peace of shit lasted 12 moths causing a feeling of water in the tires down the highway replaced this under warranty only to have the next one replaced as i had to stop the car at the lights to put it in gear so they replaced it again under warranty to an Aussi clutch and all seems good or is it ? I must admit the throw out bearing made nose from the get go and to be honest the noise I'm hearing now is very similar what do you think?

It could be something like the throw out bearing, when you rev it with the clutch pedal pushed in does it change the sound at all?

It could be something like the throw out bearing, when you rev it with the clutch pedal pushed in does it change the sound at all?
The sound is there with the clutch in or out but more noticeable under load

Hi, im new on here to make a comment, been reading lots for a while. Iv had many issues with my D40, it currently has an awful rattle noise that im told is called diesel knock, at least it is here in uk. My mechanic has tried, without success to get the injectors to code to the ecu. He has had other machines on it including one of nissans but to no avail. It happens on tick over and when revving so maybe this is the same problem. If anyone else has any tips to help my issue id be happy to try anything at this point. I cant afford to get the injectors changed and iv spent far too much on fixing issues already

I'm Seriously starting to think this noise is to do with the clutch when I put my peddle on the clutch the noise seems to match (synchronize ) the rumble of what I believe to be the throw out bearing.

I'm Seriously starting to think this noise is to do with the clutch when I put my peddle on the clutch the noise seems to match (synchronize ) the rumble of what I believe to be the throw out bearing.

The clutch was always a problem on the D40 wasn't it?

The clutch was always a problem on the D40 wasn't it?
The Duel Layer Clutch was a problem for some I go 60000km out of my first duel layer before switching to a normal clutch that lasted a little longer and have had nothing but trouble with this last install I'm on the 3rd under warranty the 3rd being fine other than this noise perhaps.

The Duel Layer Clutch was a problem for some I go 60000km out of my first duel layer before switching to a normal clutch that lasted a little longer and have had nothing but trouble with this last install I'm on the 3rd under warranty the 3rd being fine other than this noise perhaps.

The fact that you've gone through 3 means that it's either not the right clutch for it or the install.

It's making me lean towards it being a box / clutch problem again.

When you say dual later, do you mean Dual Mass? as in the Dual Mass flywheel was changed to a normal old school flywheel?

To be honest, it's a bit of a pain but relatively easier to drop the box than hope for something simple, I reckon it might be time to slide under her and check what's happening internally.

The fact that you've gone through 3 means that it's either not the right clutch for it or the install.

It's making me lean towards it being a box / clutch problem again.

When you say dual later, do you mean Dual Mass? as in the Dual Mass flywheel was changed to a normal old school flywheel?

To be honest, it's a bit of a pain but relatively easier to drop the box than hope for something simple, I reckon it might be time to slide under her and check what's happening internally.
Yes To Duel Mass and yes to old school Flywheel

Will this problem cause damage if left unattended as that is all I'm concerned about?

if its still under warrany get an opinion off different dealer workshop.. or take it to independent brake and clutch service and get a diagnosis.When i first learnt to drive i picked up my old mans habit of resting me foot on clutch pedal ,soon got out of that habit when i had to replace clutch

Ok so I've been trying to get in tune with my motor and feel this noise is vibrating as if it is in rhythm with a cylinder so was thinking could it be a Harmonic Balancer as there is definite vibration Old Tony did mention that some people have replaced this but wasn't sure why when doing the timing chain. Has anyone had problems with a Harmonic Balancer if so what were your symptoms ?

if its still under warrany get an opinion off different dealer workshop.. or take it to independent brake and clutch service and get a diagnosis.When i first learnt to drive i picked up my old mans habit of resting me foot on clutch pedal ,soon got out of that habit when i had to replace clutch
I'm starting to think it's not the clutch.
I seem to have this in built sinking of my neck into my shoulders if my tow goes any where near my clutch unnecessarily as if someone is going to biff my over the head lol.

Latest posts

Back