D40 bullbar & and the Gibb river road

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mashsam

Reaction score
Hello all just got back from doing the gibb river road, we did the trip in to the Mitchell falls and the road to Kalumburu. Amazing part of the country unfortunately we had issues with the stock nissan alloy bullbars (2 d40,s on this trip) I lost all bolts bar 3 holding the bullbar which caused the bullbar to drop snapping the cross bracket that supports the standard bash plate (if you can call it that) to drop and shear off the bolts holding it at the rear. In doing this took the paint back to bare metal below the headlights and basically the same thing happened to the other 1, we managed to get to home valley station where they carry out repairs and the mechanic on duty managed to help us out with a few bolts until we got back here to perth.
The car is due for a 30000km service next week should be a interesting debate also forgot to mention both spotslights pulled through the bullbar nuts intact (these also fitted by nissan)

I rode up to Mitchell Falls on my motorbike - great part of Australia but those roads can be pretty rough - I guess you plan to be just as rough on your local Nissan dealer.

Mal

Gibb River Road?????

With respect, this WAS the Gibb River Road! ....not exactly George Street. What prior or routine checking/maintenance did you carry out on the bolts?

The car had a pretty good check over before we left and no I didnt check the bolts that hold the bull bar on, pretty much did a lot of other things, lift kit, snorkel, carried 3 spare wheels, 1 complete front strut and lots of other spares so i think we were pretty well prepared except for high tensile 17mm fine thread bolts.
Talking to Nissan today who took photos and will replace the bullbar and broken brackets under warranty.
And yes we new it was the gibb river road not bl--dy st george tce

With respect, this WAS the Gibb River Road! ....not exactly George Street. What prior or routine checking/maintenance did you carry out on the bolts?

G'day mate, with respect to you also, but I'm wondering if you have traveled the GRR? Yes it's a dirt road, but it's a very good dirt road once graded & open for traffic after the wet. It's a pretty easy drive most of the time. The NSW variety club bash did it in 2011 in 2WD bombs.

That road up to Mitchell Falls is another story though!

Cheers!

The standard Nissan alloy bars are a Christmas decoration (just hit a mid-sized Eastern Grey roo like I did and you'll find that out). The Gibb River Road and especially the Mitchell plateau is no place for those things, just graded or not. You got Nissan to agree to replace it under warranty? You are miles in front then but I would suggest you get a decent bar for any future trip.

There are no roo's on the Gibb, it's in the tropics. Nearest roo's would be at Halls Creek.

The actual Gibb River Road is an easy drive once open & graded after the wet. it's just a long, well made, dirt road with a wide river crossing at the eastern end. There are many outback roads that are far rougher. I'd be real cheesed off if any 4WD accessory that I'd paid for couldn't cope with the Gibb!

I think you'll find even if you read your own posts that this was not just a trip over the GRR and the reference to the EASTERN (Yes, I do know that the GRR is in the WEST) roo was one of my own experiences with a Nissan alloy bar.

To get my point, Google the respective tensile and shear strengths of aluminium and steel!

I agree to disagree! I'd be pretty annoyed if an alloy bullbar that I'd paid for did what happened to the OP if I'd paid for it, even on the Kalumabru Road.

Now, lets get a beer! :)

Alloy bullbars are a nice decoration, just the fact that you spotties pulled through the alloy might tell you something. No offence mate but if your serious about some outback travel get a steel one. The comment about the roo is valid, substitute sheep, emu same effect.
I think Nissan quite rightly will say bad luck.

I like the idea of getting that beer! I was pretty pee'd off when the relatively tiny 'roo pushed my alloy bar back onto the front wheel too. Not as pee'd off as it was, probably!

Latest posts

Back