d40 brake wear.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatthehell

Reaction score
hi there.
Has any one else had issues with the brakes wearing prematurely?
I have only done 40 000k and apparently i need brake pads and disks??
i have heard that some dealerships replace theses under a good will warranty but im being told that nissan australia will not pay for this?

This happened after i mentioned the brake pulse when dropping off for a service and then got a call to say vehicle is ready only to pick up vehivle and be told you need disks and pads,but yes your vehicle is "ready".....safe??

If you have to replace the rotors, go for something aftermarket - DBA make good replacements. Getting a drilled or vented rotor is a good idea for longevity too - the pads wear slower when cold that hot.

Personally I wouldn't go with aftermarket pads if you aren't changing the rotors to aftermarket - if you do change them, then probably the Bendix 4WD are the best option.

Bendix pads are way to hard.

Go a softer pad.

I had them in my Navara for about 10,000km's and hated them, I got shuddering under heavy braking. Put Nissan pads back in and no shuddering.

Dave.

There is that chalk comment regarding D40 pads again. I don't know how thick the pads are when installed and I haven't done 40K but I was happy with my wear after the last service, must be all that driving at 30kph, I can get out and stop the car by pulling it backwards and never wear the pads.

I havent even looked at mine but my 40k service is coming up so i will be curious to see how they are then. I can understand the soft pads wearing out fast but rotors needing replacing would be a bit extreme wouldn't it?

We're just passing 34,000km in ours, I might stick my head under later when I'm not wearing a suit and see what mine look like.

40,000km does sound like a problem for the rotors. A lot of hard braking followed by some dunking in a stream could do it though.

I see no recall items for the D40 Navara's brakes but I do recall some people having issues with them.

did you go with vented rotors with them?

I did on my old car a U12 Pintara TRX, the braking sucked until I went back to softer pads. They were drilled and slotted.

Bendix are way to hard, Id never use them again.

Dave.

fair nuf. I've had good reports on them. I've not used them tho - I did put a set of DBA rotors in the Pathfinder and was very impressed.

Has anyone tried the EBC Greenstuff pads in them?

It would be worth seeing if you can fit the Thai build brake package. My brakes are awesome 50K, no rotor wear, low dust, pads should be good for another 10K.

WTF did I just say something good about my truck? must be all the drugs I'm taking. I sprained my wrist and bruised my ass falling down some wet stairs yesterday. Sore and sorry today.

I installed a set of Drilled and Slotted rotors from DBA with ceramic pads from Hawke Racing. Compfriction set me up for everything .50k later still going strong and pads are still only half worn.

Replaced my rotors and pads at 32250 kms. But they did get a caning in the Simo which had a fair bit to do with the premature failure.

Slotted rotors no good if you want to go 4wding - they catch and hold sand, mud, stones etc and therefore excerbate wear in the pads. So I threw in a good pair of aftermarket rotors and Bendix 4WD pads. Bonus is no more front alloys covered in black brake dust.

PS - Don't forget to check your drums too. My shoes were 90% worn and the drums were scored (by the Simo sand I guess) and needed a skim.

My beast is due for its 30K service this month ... i'll have berwick nissan check the brakes and give me a percentage report.

I installed a set of Drilled and Slotted rotors from DBA with ceramic pads from Hawke Racing. Compfriction set me up for everything .50k later still going strong and pads are still only half worn.

i do like the sound of this but i can see the problem with sand and mud becoming blocked and would probably create more wear..?
i think aftermarket is definateley better than the great nissan rip off but i have also heard this may void what warranty i have left.....something about more load on the axles maybe??:suicide2:

More load on the axle. Lol.

I can only imagine a slight change in weight of the disks as the metal is a higher grade.

Dave.

this was taken at 20,000km off the spanish d40. pads were almost metal to metal. cant remember when i took it. does anyone know what they put in these pads? doesnt seem efficient............ we report these from as early as 20,000km on auto and as early as 30,000km for manuals. 90% of the time its warranty. same goes for the clutches. they last about 50,000km.

Attachments

• d40 rotor.jpg
    d40 rotor.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 101
Interesting a mate with an Auto D40 needed pads and rotors at 40,000km.

My brother and I have manuals at 110,000km was told they needed rotors and pads... Stuck my head under both and there was plenty of life left on the rotors and and pads. Mine now has 117,000km my brothers 120,000km's and he has just put new pads in it.
Funny the dealer said they wouldn't last 500km's at the 110,000km service

Interesting a mate with an Auto D40 needed pads and rotors at 40,000km.

My brother and I have manuals at 110,000km was told they needed rotors and pads... Stuck my head under both and there was plenty of life left on the rotors and and pads. Mine now has 117,000km my brothers 120,000km's and he has just put new pads in it.
Funny the dealer said they wouldn't last 500km's at the 110,000km service

wow that's great! so, how do you stop? mind sharing your secrets?

Mine lasted 120 000kms, although my rotars are worn and need replacing - also my clutch lasted 120k as well

Back