D22 ZD30 Intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzza04

Reaction score
G'day All,

I am about to undertake a 2 1/2" exhaust upgrade and dump. The dollars that I have saved from manufacturing it myself I can purchase a water/air intercooler from frozenbooste. com.

The question is: Would I have to put the car over a dyno to get the computer programmed to suit the lower temps in the intake?:devil:

Can pick up a kit for aroun$450 delivered.

no.

afaik the ECU is not reprogrammable anyway. however you can fit an external chip.
you don't need to chip it because of the exhaust or intercooler. motor is not going to care that its running a bit more air. it will just run better.

interesting to see how the intercooler turns out like.

Thanks for the info.

Ok, not really electronically minded with computers and stuff, would you think that adding an intercooler would be beneficial or a waste of time?

I just know how to bend metal and do pretty welds.

an intercooler is certainly beneficial. have a look through the intercooler threads.

have you got a pic of the intercooler?

Nah I don't. Check out frozenboost.com. They have water to air kits for around $300 US.
They have various intercoolers with the air inlet and outlets in different positions. I will probably have to mod the air intake/ manufacture a new one, and possibly make slight mods to the intercooler. As well move the original fuel filter. There should be enough clearance under the bonnet for it all to fit, if not then I’ll make the hood fit the intercooler.

I will be taking a hell of a lot of photos.

Air to Water Intercooler

Would you be better off with a front mounted IC?, if a decent sized one would will fit.

The setup that I was thinking about using has the intercooler in as much of a direct line from the turbo to the intake. Being water to air, I would have the heat exchanger mounted in the lower bull bar area, where there is a good 200mm to the radiator. This would allow a 2"heatexchanger plus thermo fan and the liquid plumbing wouldn’t really take up a great deal of room.
If I was to have air/air intercooler I would probably wouldn’t consider mounting in the front, as the plumbing to do this would take up a fair chunk of the engine bay. I would mount it on top and modify the hood and manufacture heat shields.
My knowledge isn't that great on the theory behind intercoolers/airflow, but I would think that the less distance that the air has to flow the better and the load that an external electric water pump would have onto the engine wouldn't be that great.
I am very open to all views and experiences, as I don’t really want to waste time or money.

front mount is not all that bad.
top mount while it has shorter piping suffers horribly from heat soak.
water/air can be great if done right. it just costs a lot more.

Tweak'e, just read your post on the EGR Butterfly/Swirl mod. I will be doing this tomorrow. I always wondered about the amount of exhaust crap that is getting pumped into the engine.

I understand what you mean about the heat soak. That is why I was opting for the water/air. As I think/plan it more I am going to manufacture heat shielding from the exhaust/turbo and I reckon that a high temp rubber pipe from the turbo alone should do a lot to inhibit heat transfer. Hopefully I can extract some info on the coolant percentages to use either online or from a turbo performance mob.

After a long discussion with the mechanic I have been advised to not spend my money on a intercooler for my 05 d22 and stick with the original set up and get a chip... I've read a few threads on the intercoolers and I'm not sure on what advice to take....$$ vs the benefits... Your advice is gold!

i would go kick the mechanic in the NUTS ! ! !

while chipping will give you a good power increase, and IC will mean the engine lives long enough for you to use it ! trouble with chipping is it increases the heat so you will be riding the knife edge. especially as the ZD30 "grenade" has a bad rep for blowing holes in pistons. the intercooler keeps those temps down to a safe level.

so exhaust then intercooler then chip it.

Thanks heaps mate, I'm on the hunt for the exhaust as we speak. Would it be a good idea to save a few extra dollars and get the exhaust and intercooler at the same time... Or is it possible to do it stage by stage.

Do what you can afford.

Mine is intercooled and has a better exhaust.

Next is upgraded turbo.

Ill wait a month and then get it as I wanna keep my bank account above a certain level.

Dave.

After a long discussion with the mechanic I have been advised to not spend my money on a intercooler for my 05 d22 and stick with the original set up and get a chip... I've read a few threads on the intercoolers and I'm not sure on what advice to take....$$ vs the benefits... Your advice is gold!

i am hearing you mate !! can any-one on this forum post a dyno print out of improvement ,before and after ?? at a approx cost of $1200 i think a chip would show better results,, the available room for a front mount, or even a top mount is too small for an intercooler to be efficient ... heat saturation and airflow is a big killer, (intercoolers are approx min 600x400)and sit out front with no restriction (bullbars spot lights ) i would prefer a performance chip and paint my radiator silver .:congrats::congrats:

i am hearing you mate !! can any-one on this forum post a dyno print out of improvement ,before and after ?? at a approx cost of $1200 i think a chip would show better results,, the available room for a front mount, or even a top mount is too small for an intercooler to be efficient ... heat saturation and airflow is a big killer, (intercoolers are approx min 600x400)and sit out front with no restriction (bullbars spot lights ) i would prefer a performance chip and paint my radiator silver .:congrats::congrats:
glad your not a mechanice.. firstly, painting radiator will pretty much stop all airflow,
2ndly hundreds of website with dyno,
3rdly, bullbars and spotlights go INFRONT of FMIC
finally as plenty others have said, if you chip it and dont cool it, you will destroy your engine and turbo...
why do you think intercoolers were invented....? to Cool down turbos.
the d22's were designed with no IC to run at standard.
start upgrading and you will need to cool them
But dont listen to us.. go get a chip, big exhaust, pump more power in, dont cool it and see how long your Block lasts...
Enjoy... :)

glad your not a mechanice.. firstly, painting radiator will pretty much stop all airflow,
2ndly hundreds of website with dyno,
3rdly, bullbars and spotlights go INFRONT of FMIC
finally as plenty others have said, if you chip it and dont cool it, you will destroy your engine and turbo...
why do you think intercoolers were invented....? to Cool down turbos.
the d22's were designed with no IC to run at standard.
start upgrading and you will need to cool them
But dont listen to us.. go get a chip, big exhaust, pump more power in, dont cool it and see how long your Block lasts...
Enjoy... :)

aahhh come on !!!!!! silver radiator wont STOP airflow,, they are painted black to dissapate heat, (to cool) as black is best colour, (most new form radiators including your navara one is a silver core .... as for bullbars and spotties they ARE mounted in front of cooler,, wow thats really going to hinder the air flow now... and lets all be honest now,, how effective do you think your intercooler is ????... 3.0lt diesel at full noise ,at full boost, flows over 500cubic feet per minute of air,, now do you think a pissy little cooler is going to have time to cool it, to an acceptable level(doubt it).... $1200 just to drop 5deg... also turbos are not cooled down by intercoolers, they are sometimes watercooled... a properly tuned diesel will be far more effective with a chip, start introducing heaps of fuel then you will be in trouble!!!!! but who would do that, without all the proper tuning equiptment,, (not like sitting in the cab and dialing up the boost pressure without knowing what is going on).... yes one more thing NOS wont do jack shit,, it is LPG that you want ... introduced pre turbo... try it works better than an intercooler, more power, cooler temps, and better fuel consumption,,,, i am glad i am a diesel technician rather than a white collar worker .......... i get to see it first hand :devil::devil:

aahhh come on !!!!!! silver radiator wont STOP airflow,, they are painted black to dissapate heat, (to cool) as black is best colour, (most new form radiators including your navara one is a silver core .... as for bullbars and spotties they ARE mounted in front of cooler,, wow thats really going to hinder the air flow now... and lets all be honest now,, how effective do you think your intercooler is ????... 3.0lt diesel at full noise ,at full boost, flows over 500cubic feet per minute of air,, now do you think a pissy little cooler is going to have time to cool it, to an acceptable level(doubt it).... $1200 just to drop 5deg... also turbos are not cooled down by intercoolers, they are sometimes watercooled... a properly tuned diesel will be far more effective with a chip, start introducing heaps of fuel then you will be in trouble!!!!! but who would do that, without all the proper tuning equiptment,, (not like sitting in the cab and dialing up the boost pressure without knowing what is going on).... yes one more thing NOS wont do jack shit,, it is LPG that you want ... introduced pre turbo... try it works better than an intercooler, more power, cooler temps, and better fuel consumption,,,, i am glad i am a diesel technician rather than a white collar worker .......... i get to see it first hand :devil::devil:

You sir are a D**K. Maybe some people are on the wrong track and say silly things but that is why they are asking questions and throwing their ideas out there. The last thing this forum needs is someone who thinks they know it all putting shit on everyone like you have been.

Now lets just pick your response to bits.

1) radiators were painted black because copper looks like shit!!! They are now silver because they are made of alloy and not painted at all. The colour of your radiator wil do nothing to it's performance as heat is dissapated across the surface of the metallic fins to the passing cooler air flow. Black absorbs heat more redially from radiation due to the fact that it doesn't reflect any part of the visible spectrum but in no way does it radiate heat more redially than other colours. However, the material of your radiator does affect the dissapation of heat and metals, particullay alloys, are quite efficient at dissapating heat but if you painted this with any more than the thinist of coats then you would reduce it's ability to dissipate heat.

2) if intercoolers do nothing then why are vehicle manufactures putting the on almost all turbo deisel engines? Because they work!!! Many companies have done testing and found that they get around 10-15% increase in power with an intercooler fitted, similar to fitting a chip. This can only be due to the cooling effect on intake air from the intercooler. Do some research and you will find the dyno printouts.

You might know a bit more than most about mechanics which is great, but by no means do you know everything too. Rather than ragging on everyone, explain what you know and people may listen, your posts have contained much correct information but no one takes your advice because you come across as a TOOL!!!

If you can't be constructive then P**s OFF!!!

Last edited:

lets have a think about this then shall we, you go and chip your non intercooled turbo diesel, then for the hell of it throw some lpg on it, goes pretty good huh?

then you lend it to someone for a while, they don't know anything about how turbos should be treated, it goes pretty quick so they hammer it a lot. they don't bother letting the egt's drop before shutting it down, just stop and turn the motor off. this happens for a week, maybe more, on every shut down. of course, you know what you should do prior to shut down, so you don't bother fitting a turbo timer, as they are illegal.

you get the car back, still goes great. drive it for maybe 50 - 100 thousand k's, then you decide to go on a a big trip somewhere. pull out to overtake someone, put the boot in and all of a sudden bang, heaps of smoke, engine stops and you are stuck in the middle of nowhere with a turbo that has just let go and taken the motor with it because the compressor blades just ended up inside it.

now lets repeat that with an intercooler, same as above except now there's a good chance the motor is still ok because the intercooler caught most of the blades that came out of the turbo.

intercoolers make a lot of difference, especially once you start turning boost and fuel up. i have an mk patrol sd33 that i turboed, non intercooled to begin with. when i intercooled it egt's dropped between 50 - 100c depending on conditions. i'm sure 3lt navara's have the same results if not better. coolant temps haven't increased at all, if anything they are more stable than they were pre intercooled.

oh, and why do you get the idea nos won't do anything on a turbo diesel?

In general driving my Nav never goes over 400 C on the pyro.

A few days ago it was high 30's here and the pyro hit 420 C.

I usually do most of my driving at night, at 100km/h on the flats the pyro is sitting on 300 C.

Trust me, your asking for trouble throwing more fuel into the motor with a stock exhaust, no intercooler and the factory turbo which is to small.

The intercooler makes a difference.

Latest posts

Back