D22 Horn

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
2003 D22, does anyone know what the decibel out put was on the original meepmeep/roadrunner horn.
I need something a hell of a lot louder. Far too many deaf idiots on the road now and I need to waken them up with something REAL loud.
Cheers

not sure what the decibels are from the original " excuse me, if it's not too much trouble, would you please move" horn..
i went half assed and added an extra snail horn from a 90s model ford falcon wired in together - i think it's a good mix

images.jpeg-11.jpg

^ Well, since the loudest possible sound in air is about 194dB, the advertisement is a little misleading.

You could try getting some decent compressor-based trumpet horns, but in reality they're a little slow and they take up a lot of space, plus the larger ones need a significant volume of air to keep them going.

I bought one of these, it's loud and does the job:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2524809...efaultOrganicWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1
But I have to say that if the driver is young, female and in control of a BMW or Audi, they're likely to not notice anyway.

Hilux owners should never hear it if it's facing forwards anyway, if they do then you're obviously not moving.

according to above article the sound was heard in a distance similar to Melbourne Vic to Cooktown Qld
imagine nearly double that coming from a $30 ebay horn strapped to the Navara

wasnt at all doubting that mate..
i was just stating the fact that at that level, which is a rocket taken off, three times louder and you have a $30 ebay horn.. i think a little misleading is an obvious credit to their marketing campaign

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Truck air horn on top of the cab roof would look good but not sure where I would put the air tank and pump to run it haha
Found a website for Stebel horns, you could listen to them on the site. might have to listen again and check the size to make sure it will fit in.
Anyway, I gotta find something soon before I get broadsided in a car park again or before some lunatic tries cutting me off on the freeway again. I've had enuff of the clowns.
Cheers All

I know the factory set up in older Ford Falcons is pretty good. From memory there's two horns that have a good bright trumpet sound.
Should be a cheap & easy upgrade 'cos the wreckers would have hundreds of em?
Pretty sure they're a single power wire and grounded thru the bolts to the front subframe. HTH.

2003 D22, does anyone know what the decibel out put was on the original meepmeep/roadrunner horn.
I need something a hell of a lot louder. Far too many deaf idiots on the road now and I need to waken them up with something REAL loud.
Cheers
These go well, for the price, 'bout fifty bucks.
High Power Stebel Magnum 136dB Twin Electric Horn
Have a listen here. Stebel Horns - Listen To Our Range

Actually decibels are a logarithmic scale, so each 10db is doubling the sound. So that eBay horn is actually over a trillion times louder than Krakatoa.

Impressive claim. That's louder than a Ford Ranger 3.2.

Back to reality, one of the best and easiest ways to increase perceived loudness is to add different tones, the more tones the louder it will appear.
A pair of used standard horns or a pair from your favourite vendor added to the original will make a big difference.

I have an old horn[must be 70 years old] from an Austin that i have had on every car i owned. A deep loud sound together with the original horn gives a note that is like no other car. [Put on the hat and glasses and play Mr. McGoo!]

I've got a little triple air horn set with three different size horns that seems ok. Certainly makes the Mrs jump when she's out opening a gate and I give it a little toot lol.

Fits in the area in front of the air filter (where some people put a second battery). Thinking about putting it back in behind the front grill where it was originally.

Latest posts

Back