D22 3lt engine detonation

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhz

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have just purchased a 2006 D22 3lt manual with 272kms and I have been informed that the engines have a detonation problem and destroy themselves
is this true?
what is the problem?
is there anything you can do to stop it?

any help would be appreciated

they aren't that bad mate.
haven't been too many here blow up, its more the early zd30's in the patrols, which are a bit different.

first things would be to pull off the turbo inlet and check the compressor wheel condition.

other things would be egr block, catch can install (provent 100 is probably best) and intercooler is highly recommended, i'd recommend the forefront kit but any will do.

there's heaps of threads on here about all i've mentioned, do some searches and hava read for yourself.

Yaaawwwwnnnnn.
Here we go again.
272000km, so wheres the detonation.
Plenty of these things starting to get decent kms on them.
Hopefully mine will still be going ok at 272k.

272K is nicely settled in for one of those motors. Throw on some mods that Ben recommended (catch can, intercooler (turbo catch can), and egr block) and enjoy a nice motor.

An old fellow i spoke to at a servo had a 06 with 470k on it original turbo all completely stock all he does is oil and filter every 5k and he had it from new.

Towing a small van around aus with his wife i reckon it would be over 500k by now hope that helps you relax they are a damm good thing when treated properly.

Mine is ace, never missed a beat, original clutch and all(300k),
The pooroll on the other hand, I've rebuilt 4 all with destroyed heads

thanks everyone I was under the same believe if it was going to happen would have happened by now. I will look into some of these mods, Thanks again

Are catch cans necessary? I did the EGR mod but I wasn't going to bother with the catch can.

Have contemplated the intercooler as well, but was going to avoid that one as well.

yeah i was worried when i bought mine as there is a lot of smack on the net but as previously stated its more the early patrols....

FMIC, ZAUST and the EGR will help the truck a 100 times aswell as drop EGT and intake temps

it was mainly the early zd30 that blew holes in the pistons. btw its not caused by detonation.
the 2006 should be fine. but don't forget there is other 'normal' causes of engine failure. a faulty injector can blow a hole in a piston regardless of what engine it is.

catch can is highly recommended as these tend to blow a lot of oil out the breather.
to much oil and it will start to run on the oil. that can cause other problems.
make sure the oil level in the engine is not overfilled. overfill it a little bit and its blows a lot out the breather.

Are catch cans necessary? I did the EGR mod but I wasn't going to bother with the catch can.

Have contemplated the intercooler as well, but was going to avoid that one as well.

Intercooler is good to get, catch can not really necessary.
Thought I should edit as I appear deliberately contradictory, information I've gathered from Mike Vine turbos is that catch cans do work but not critical for a turbo diesel but an intercooler is highly recommended.

Last edited:
Intercooler is good to get, catch can not really necessary.
Thought I should edit as I appear deliberately contradictory, information I've gathered from Mike Vine turbos is that catch cans do work but not critical for a turbo diesel but an intercooler is highly recommended.

I'd agree with that - not critical. But do assist in preventing the intercooler getting filled with oil.

Back