Black smoke and 30lt 100k!!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Reaction score
Hi all,
Having multiple problems with my 2008 D40 Navara auto. It has a lazy axle fitted as I cart a slide on camper around. Has Diesel Gas Australia system fitted and it has been renewed and tested. Has a new Taipan DPF fitted (as Berrima Diesel said they could not remove the DPF) which is a full 3" system. Actually had 2 DPFs fitted back to back as the first one was faulty. Tried a DP Chip and it made absolutely no difference whatsoever - set it to maximum and you could not tell if it was connected or not - a bit more smoke I think. New SCV and all filters etc. Still blowing black smoke (I now have a black boat) and using around 30 litres to 100k. I have a mate in Queensland that is the same as my Navara - Farts soot and drinks like a fish. Cant find anything on the threads that fits this dilemma.:pissedoff

Dpf can't be working real well if you have black smoke. They are supposed to catch that. Have you had boost checked? There is a high possibility that the turbo is either not boosting or has failed.

Seems a bit weird that a diesel workshop can't figure out the problem.

Welcome to the forum.

Is yours a King Cab or a Dual Cab? They're similar, but the KCs are Thai builds and we THINK there's a software upgrade for them that fixes the fuel consumption issue.

I have a 2009 auto with factory DPF and even giving it a complete bootful there's zero smoke from my car. The inside of the exhaust is still shiny steel, even though the outside is starting to show rust marks! If yours is smoking I'd question whether or not you have a DPF fitted.

I do think Iceman is on the right track. It's a really easy thing to check and the repair bill could go as high as $20. Look under the turbocharger's actuator (that's the round gold thing sitting on top of your turbo). You should see a shaft about 10mm thick. When the car is idling, this shaft should be moving 3-5mm almost randomly.

If it's moving like that then everything with the turbo is probably ok. If it's not moving, you'll have a problem with the vacuum somewhere - and this is quite common, more common as the car gets older. The vac hoses perish, joins harden, the solenoid starts to fail or the vac unit in the brake booster gives up (not common, but it has happened).

are you sure you don't mean a cat rather than a dpf?

big question is when does it blow smoke?

whats the boost doing?

Hi Bods,
Before the DPF was replaced they said the boost was less than 3 (3 what I don't know) when it should have been 20. It went a lot better with the new DPF as you would expect and Berrima said the turbo was OK. They said the injectors were OK as well but I am not sure if you can tell unless you take them out and send them to get tested.

Hi Old Tony,
Mine is a Thai built King Cab and is auto and definitely has a DPF fitted. As I said Berrima put one on and it only got me half way home then the vehicle went into limp mode, which is a problem for cars and people I believe.
The Navara has been to a few Nissan dealers and they never mentioned the upgrade. As a matter of fact they said there was nothing wrong with it.
The fact that there is smoke with a brand new DPF fitted is a worry and I wonder how mush smoke there would be without the new DPF.
The truck is at Diesel Performance Rutherford and I am sending him a link to this thread as I am only the middle man and not wanting to be a mechanic at my age, just want my truck working goodly.

Yep, you're burning 3 times the amount of diesel the rest of are per 100ks. Not much surprise you're seeing smoke!

So, the question would be, what would cause the engine to overfuel . . .

* Turbo not doing it's job ? - Vacuum hoses, actuator, turbo.
* Injector stuck open ?
* MAF sensor ?
* O2 sensor ?

a $20 Bluetooth OBDII tool + smartphone app can show you a lot of useful info, things like the boost level and whether any faults are logged in the ECU.

I have a manual without a DPF and only really see smoke when I'm giving it death.

The KCs are renowned for getting 15-17LPHK, but not 30. The upgrade has apparently been applied to a couple of cars belonging to members here, but we can't get the TSB number for it. Unless your dealer(s) have read all of the TSBs for the Navara, they may not even know it exists.

3 is probably psi - and that's woeful. Check the turbo vac hoses and solenoid. The solenoid should show battery voltage (about 14V while the engine is running) but if it's stuck on an oscilloscope you should see a waveform at around 100Hz. If that's missing, the solenoid has failed and needs replacing.

If Berrima Diesel pronounce the turbocharger as "ok" it's possible that they checked the turbine/impeller shaft but not the vanes (which are used to control the turbo and don't affect the life of the turbo). It's still time to look at the shaft that comes out of the actuator and see if it moves.

Ive read about vnt veins that have become jammed from too much soot.easy to check to see if it still moves tho

Mate; check to see if you lose power when put the right foot into it, if it does check your inter-cooler hose it could have come loose and sucking air.

Might still be trying to do a regen. If they replaced the DPF without resetting the ecu it probably thinks it's still blocked.

Latest posts

Back