Best Diesel engines and why

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian m

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for ideas on what is the best Diesel engine available to put into a tow rig. I've been looking at the cummins 5.9 24v, but I don't know if that's the best choice.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

Damian

duramax for sure, apparently you can shoehorn one into the D40.

if you can't afford that a landcruiser with 1HD-FTE would be alright or D40 with the 3.0 v6.

No mention of a TD42T in those 180deg. Lol so much for a Nissan supporter :p.

Duramax
TD42T
1HD FTE
Maybe the 550
alot of people here think the TD42T is a piece of crap just like the D40's don't get timing chain problems so I just decided to not talk about things like that anymore.

anyway to the OP check out scotty bobcats v8 conversion thread for his D22, that thing has balls the size of watermelons....

Rather than the headache and expense of conversion, either engine or some US thing from L/H to RHD. What about an Isuzu N or even F series. They come in Crew Cab configurations as well.

Landcruiser 200 series twin turbo or BMW's 3 litre turbo diesel...both are fabulous motors

basically anything EUROPEAN wins hand over foot

4.5 tonne would be the outer limit of a 200 series or despite it's fantastic engine the in the Be-M-er. Both engines would pull it, no probs at all but thinking more along the lines of the vehicle weight and track.

Landcruiser 200 series twin turbo or BMW's 3 litre turbo diesel...both are fabulous motors

basically anything EUROPEAN wins hand over foot

I like where your going here.

Although I would like more Nm of torque.

Thanks

Tourag v10 diesel. 750nm and can pull a 747.

image-1974380444.jpg

i'd be looking at the duramax or the cummins, i think they both use the Allison 6 speed auto too.
Otherwise look at small truck engines from the usual suspects.

That's a petrol tho isn't it. Still not going to argue. Go the Nissan. My 2.5 would be flat out pulling the stairs to get the passengers off. :)

It is a marketing at its best - pulling is not as much of a problem as stopping is. Toureg that towed a (stripped) 747 at 155t had 4.5 t ballast to get traction.
747 max take off weight depending on the model is over 400t.

I don't know you situation but if i had to tow 4.5T regularly and over a long distance id be wanted something factory not convertered. Conversions (I've done one) are fun but not always the most practical things in the real world. Always some kind of issue.

towing 4.5t with a smallish Isuzu truck would prob be worth looking into. All factory built and warranted. No legal issues. I think most of them have about 5L turbo diesel 4 bangers. Prob not huge HP numbers but would pull stumps all day no probs

I agree with auggie, the local marine volunteers have a huge boat and got a small 5t truck to tow it with, they're not that expensive to buy new either, all ready to go with a warranty etc, good for peace of mind.

Latest posts

Back