are 265 x 75 x 16 tyres really Illegal in Qld?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtjockey

Reaction score
I've got a new set of wheels for my Navara - and I've read a whole lot of posts from a whole lot of people and so I want to know what is the deal with the 15mm increase over the standard rolling diameter - where does that come from?

I cannot find a legislative document (happy to read it if someone can point me in the right direction but Qld transport could not!) - The only document I can find is a "Modifcation_motor_vehicles" document. Now in that document it only mentions the +15mm (and -26mm) in the section entitled "Low profile tyres" - by my reading that is only referencing Low profile tyres - that law uses the "reasonable person" test - so in the eyes of a reasonable person is a set of 265 75 16 Mud tyres a low profile tyre? - Of course not and they under no circumstances would be considered a low profile tyre.

If I then read on in the "General conditions for alternative rims and tyres" it says:

The tyre to rim fitting and the tyre to rim combination must be in accordance with the Tyre and Rim Standards published by the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia. Reputable tyre retailers should have this information and be able to advise on the correct combinations.

The Tyre and Rim Standards says that I can go 50mm larger than the largest tyre for that vehicle.

So I'm not fitting low profile tryes so why can't I go 50mm larger - and again I'm happy to read the legislative document but the only document I can find says (by my reading) I can do that.

Any thoughts? - I want to keep my car legal - but what is legal? are people only saying 15mm because that's what they read in that section? - because if that's the case then I think they are wrong!

I think you will find that document is an australian standard rule, queensland overpowers that though by stating their own requirement which is the 15mm rule. Stupid I know. The QLD rules were posted on here somewhere not long ago, do a search for +15mm or something and see what comes up. There were rumours of it being changed to +50mm but nothing has been done yet as far as we know. I have never heard of anyone getting in strife for bigger tyres.

MY EMAIL"
I heard that it might be possible that QLD law regarding the maximum 15mm
diameter tyre increase may meet the national standard of 50mm, is this
correct/going to happen?

RESPONSE:

Good Afternoon Mark

Thank you for you email enquiry to the Department of Transport and Main Roads (the department) regards tyre size increases in Queensland.

Vehicle standards and vehicle modifications are covered within the Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 1999. This regulation lists the requirements for the fitment of alternative tyres, rims and wheels.

Currently the regulation stipulates that the combination of a tyre and rim is permitted to have a diameter of not more than 15mm more than the diameter specified by the vehicle’s manufacturer or not more than 26mm less than the diameter specified by the vehicle’s manufacturer.

It is important to remember that while a tyre manufacturer may give the diameter of a tyre it can differ noticeably when fitted to alternative rims. Therefore to achieve an accurate representation of the tyre and rim diameter while in combination, the measurement should be taken while the tyre is fitted to the rim and with no loads applied (including vehicle).

This method of determining the tyre and rim diameter ensures the vehicle complies with the legislative requirements of fitting alternative tyre and rims whether the vehicle is loaded or unloaded. It is also to ensure consistency with the vehicle manufacturer’s method for determining the original tyre and rim combination’s diameter.

If the tyres and rims you are wishing to fit to your vehicle are within the dimensions mentioned above and load and speed ratings comply, the vehicle will be acceptable on Queensland’s roads. If the tyres and rims fall outside these requirements, the vehicle would be deemed non-complying and not be considered for an exemption to these requirements.

As you may be aware the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Modification and Construction will be utilised by Queensland Transport later this year. In its current draft form the National Code of Practice allows for a 50mm increased tyre size on 4wd vehicles. However, as the National Code of Practice is in draft form and currently awaiting comments from internal and external stakeholders it is unknown what tyre and rim diameter increase the finalised document will allow.

Until the National Code of Practice has been finalised and endorsed under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 1999, the current requirements must be complied with.

I hope this answers your enquiry. Should you have further enquiries please contact the modifications help desk on:- 07-032534851, Monday to
Friday, 830am to 430pm (Wednesday, 930am to 430pm)

Kind regards,

Edmund Wasilewski
Assistant Transport Policy Officer | Vehicles & Road Use
Land Transport & Safety Division | Department of Transport and Main Roads

#####################################################

max u can go is 265/70/16 but some brands differ a little
any bigger i think random qld transport vehicles may overlook but IF u have an accident...the insurance assesor will look for anything illegal to not cover you.

Last edited:
Go for 2 sets of tyres.

I run 265/75/16 MTZ's when I venture into the bush and run 265/70/16 Cooper ST's on road.

Dave.

Drawing up an old thread hear but....

Do you think Qld transport would see a Dx and an STR equal as they are really variations of the same model.

I wanna run 265/75 on a DX ute.

I'm leaning towards no. Whatever is on the tyre placard as the size.....Which sucks for a dx as placard indicates a 205r16 as standard.

I'd be getting an STR tyre placard from a wreckers. Purely for research purposes of course.

I'm pretty sure the rule is the largest size on any variant of the vehicle is the basis, not the largest size fitted to your model. I know what certainly is the way it reads in NCOP.

had a mate up here in Cairns who wrote off his DX d22, while 4wding. He had 265/75 MTR's on and Suncorp covered his insurance with no drama's at all, he also had a 2" lift and bigger exhaust. Not sure if he was just lucky or not or if suncorp is a bit flexible.

Stu

suncorp are great. never had a problem both times i have had a little issue :D

Im glad to hear that the insurance is coming through. This was my main concern. As I dont want to waste almost a grand a year for NRMA for nothing.

Definately get a tyre placard sticker tho just to keep the boys in blue happy.

Latest posts

Back