ARB ripping off Aussie's

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter ST_R

Reaction score
Why can you buy an ARB air locker in the states from a reseller for $840 when they cost almost twice this from ARB Australia and are made here. They are taking the piss out of us!!!

Got any more information? such as a link to the US reseller's web page for this item, is it new? is it genuine ARB? etc...

We used to be able to buy ROH mags from Singapore at 25% of the price they sell them here for as well. That was about 15 years ago, not sure about now.

Ita all about the size of the market. Its a great time to buy from the US. I just had delivered a Ka-bar fold knife from there for camping. great price for something that is sold here for well over double here. So guys it time to do that online christmas shopping!

Last edited:
I buy all of my motocross gear and jet ski gear from the us, even with freight it is usually less than half price compaired to the retailers here in Australia.

Most of my woodworking gear has been bought from Canada.
Even with a crap Xchange rate some years ago their prices were at least 1/2 the prices quoted in Perth and that included freight to my front door.

Exactly. I'm all for supporting the aussie shops etc here, but.....

In January this year I went shopping for a new Ibanez Bass guitar, $1300.00 in the shops here, got it delivered from a music shop in Baltimore, US for $760.00. Would be even cheaper with our great dollar now.

This is the reason why i steer clear of ARB. The US$ is going to hurt these dedicated 4WD retail shops. I am always keen to support local but I refuse to pay a price for something from ARB that borders on being insulted.

Google ARB ezi deflators as an example. Cheaper form the US delivered. Go figure?

I know it sucks, but I'm sure there's a good reason for it. Probably the same reason why consumer electronics, cars, clothes and even food are so much cheaper in the US than Australia. You can buy a brand new F-truck in the states for around USD$30,000, which today is about $AUD30,000....lol. I'm going to the states next year, and I just bought a few thousand USD's, so I'm happy about it at the moment!!

Yep have a look at the Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan, I would love one of those v8 beasts and you could probably get one here imported and converted for less than the price of a new D40. Its bullshit.

As woznme says the size of the market is a huge factor in prices and we really are just a drop in the ocean with our 24 million people so it stands to reason we will pay more for similar items even if those items are produced here. Dollar parity has once again made people realise how cheap importing things can be but the one thing parity can't always bring is after sales service.

I agree that at half price an $840 winch is attractive even if shipping is extra but you still have to weigh up the costs of having problems with the unit. If you have to send the unit back to the US you'll probably be without it for 6 weeks or so and you'll be up for the shipping unless the US supplier is happy to come to other terms. It's the risk you pay for and accept when you deal overseas, in many cases that isn't a huge risk but it still should be considered.

I'm all for trading where you get your best deal what does shit me though is people who enter such deals then bitch to the local guy that they are having problems. When I ran the shop I used to have heaps of people travel 150 odd ks to Melbourne to save $50 on a computer then come to me when it died and expect me to fix it under some other stores warranty because traveling back to the store they brought it from was going to cost money.

So while the local supplier is more expensive (and made even more obvious now with the high dollar) remember that your local guy's price is based on you being able to come back to him and him being able to solve your problems or issues as quickly as he can whether that be sending the item back to the supplier for you or just helping you work out that niggling glitch. You might not consider that when you go back and report an issue to him it's costing him money to help you solve that issue but taken down to the very basic level even the owner of the store needs to justify the hours he spends with customers whether sales or servicing.

Having said that I'm off to spend some cash on Amazon

Ita all about the size of the market. Its a great time to buy from the US. I just had delivered a Ka-bar fold knife from there for camping. great price for something that is sold here for well over double here. So guys it time to do that online christmas shopping!

Sweet knife, im looking for something like that. What sort of $$ did you pay? Pm me if you like

As long as the items you get are less than a grand you pay no stamp duty or Tax. Any company that imports the same item has to pay both as well as put on a mark up to make a dollar or 3 on the deal.
I bought a set of wheels for my last truck in Canada and brought them back as luggage. I ended up paying $157 Aus per wheel. The guy who sold them here in Aus wanted $440 per wheel for same item.
As for being able to buy gear made in Aus cheaper OS thats just BS. Something going way wrong there.

$46 +$15 postage. Its a Ka-Bar Mule straight blade got it from MatchSupply items - Get great deals on Scopes, Folding Lock Back items on eBay Stores!, amazon has them for a couple of bucks cheaper but only post to the US. When looking for a good knife for camping (got sick of folding out the leatherman blade out), a lot of reviews pointed me to this one. Its much more solid, bigger and heavier then i thought. great knife. I know we have a couple of coppers on here. I'm under the impression i can't just keep it in my glovebox can I, unless i'm pretty much all packed up for camping. I have always kept my leatherman in the glovebox though and not been concerned. Am i probably being a little paranoid as i've never been stopped for more then the odd rbt and never been searched or anything. You reckon it is ok to keep in there under all the other shit, sunscreen, phone chargers, body bags etc lol

Its been that way for years, hence why I hate ARB. Last time I went to a ARB store I wanted a price on a longrange fuel tank.

They would only give me a price on a second hand one, then I finally got the new price and it was $50 difference.

So I went to TJM and only deal with them these days.

Dave.

They charge that much because idiots will pay it,'pretty simple really aussies need to smarten the fuck up and shop around instead of paying retarded prices just because it's easier.

Latest posts

Back