Anybody on the NBN yet?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to be able to get on to the NBN, we've got ADSL but we're about 4km from the exchange and only sync at about 7mbit which means an effective download speed of about 600kbits per second.

That means that streaming standard definition video works but choosing to rent in high definition (even 720p) when we rent a movie online causes the movie to buffer (stop and wait for the net connection to catch up) several times during the movie.

I wish.

One of the new estates around here is all fibred.

Some new ISAM's went in a few months back.

Rural Australia will be done first. Where there's no ADSL and its feasable, will be done before the capital cities.

I was on a ridiculously remote aboriginal community a couple of years back in the eastern side of WA and they had fibre optic, would be some contract pulling that cable in!

Our house has just been built in a fibre optics community. So when i move down to Perth in October i will be on it. My mate is connected at 78mb on speedtest.net.

Only problem is the community is locked into a company called velocity which is owned by telstra. So i cant get connected through any other company but them. And we all know how shit telgay are to deal with.

Brett

That's just the point. the way the gubbamnt has elected to roll it out. Telgay as you call em have the monopoly. Plenty of discussion among the polly's bout it but that's all it is, talk. Nancy's !!!!!

Our house has just been built in a fibre optics community. So when i move down to Perth in October i will be on it. My mate is connected at 78mb on speedtest.net.

Only problem is the community is locked into a company called velocity which is owned by telstra. So i cant get connected through any other company but them. And we all know how shit telgay are to deal with.

Brett

Hey mate that aint yanchep by any chance is it?

Yeh, if i could have it my way i would go fibre with iinet. But only velocity is available in that area. Not sure why, i really should try and find out why, pisses me off, i fkn hate telstra with a passion!

10kms south of you navara09, house is located in Butler

Brett

I'm pretty sure the are anti-competition laws to stop that kind of thing. ACMA and ACCC would love to hear about that i'm sure.

The laws that force Telstra to wholesale access were written in such a way as to mean that they only require Telstra to wholesale ADSL access. Coax and Fibre networks that Telstra pay to install (normally by arrangement with the estate developer) also generally include an exclusive arrangement. The velocity fibre installations aren't the same as NBN fibre installations, the hardware is somewhat different.

Brett coz i am in yanchep and have it. i am waiting for iinet to come to yanchep to so i can switch over. telstra are a bunch of wankers. but the Fibre optics is faster but you pay for it big time

From what I have seen, looks like the AXE's will stay the same with just a few upgrades for the Fibre to the premises.

We only last week got ADSL2 enabled exchanges in my area (main exchange miles away was enabled 2 years ago) so I'm not holding me breath for it. And besides with the prices estimated to start at $60 per month I say screw that I'm going back to dial up if they force me onto the NBN.

Thats interesting. Most of the exchanges down here are down to donor pairs.

iiNET just installed there own equipment in the Newcastle, Maitland and Central Coast areas about 6 months ago. They finally comissioned there equipment on the Central Coast the other day and a few Newcastle sites.

Maitland Exchange should be next.

I haven't seen Telstra install any new Isam's in this area in like 2 years.

At a guess, Id say they just installed ADSL 2 cards in the AM31 system in your exchange.

However who knows, Telstra do some odd things.

Might of even put a ISAM in.

Most of the Cabinets are full down here to. Telstra wont put anymore in as the competition jump on straight away and fill the cabinets with there customers.

To be honest, I dont blame Telstra for not spending the money when there getting screwed over.

I was looking at the exchange maps for this area the other day and we really are on the forgotten list, even if the NBN turns up in town it's going to be slow making it outside the CBD.

The "theoretical" max from ADSL 2 is achieved by so few people it's not funny. Mate of mine had ADSL2 a year or so back because the ISP he chose insisted it was worth every cent and he was getting slower speeds from his ADSL 2 than I was getting from my ADSL1 and of course the ISP said "theoretical speed may not be achieved etc etc" and he had no choice but to stay in the contract...well there was choice but it cost money.

The main reason behind the NBN is to give Rural Australia access to decent speeds.

The Capital cities wont be first on the list to do as they already have ADSL.

Telstra has started phasing out pair gains systems and Ram8's aswell. About time to.

Everyone is quick to bag Telstra, but if they didn't spend the money. No one outside a Capital City would have access to ADSL. TPG, AAPT, iiNET, Exetel etc wont install ADSL systems outside the big exchange's.

Maitland exchange is the only exchange down here with different ISP's. Head North on the New England Highway and maybe Tamworth exchange may have a few more carriers. Highly unlikely though.

Telstra own all the rest of the equipment.

The exchange in the township closest has 4 ISP's on it and two of them I hadn't heard of until I saw them on the list the other day, although I don't keep up with them like I used to, my days of recommending ISP's to people are long gone.

My only issue with the Big T is price versus service, their customer service is really terrible unless you pay for business plans or SLA's, once upon a time it was never like that but these days I can pay less for crappy customer service.

Is 1 Powertel ?

Thats AAPT.

I agree on the price, but Telstra do maintain the whole network. Well these days, mostly contractors.

The funny is, most of the piss poor work I see is done by Telstra employees.

Contractors get audited. Telstra employees dont.

I was talking to one of the band 7 tech's the other day and him and his group get AAPT, TPG etc faults.

Soul doesn't exist anymore. CCTS ripped all the old redundant Soul gear out and transfered the fibres to the TPG racks.

Latest posts

Back