Alarms - recommendations, advice, etc.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rastik86

Reaction score
As some of you might know my trusty Nav got raped by some arsewipes last Saturday. She put up a good fight and stood her ground, insurance is now fixing locks and barrel etc.

But this ordeal has left me wanting some piece of mind security wise... I will be leaving a screwdriver under the seat from now on lol

Someone advised me the Mongoose 80 series alarms are pretty good. I spoke to one company about installing one and they recommended some Vision brand jobby...

So I'm turning it back to the family. Please hit back with recommendations and advice on what to go for and why and even what not to go for and why.

Edit: already have remote central locking and immobiliser, and have a Bogaard turbo timer.

Cheers

Last edited:
I've got a cyclops one on mine, does the immobiliser and remote locking too.. when the dealer fitted it pre delivery they didn't hook up the alarm side, so it doesn't have a siren. I just found a pcb diagram for it and found which pin was the output for the siren and wired it to the horn so when the alarm goes off the horn just stays on lmao...

Anyway, I've never had a problem with it and have used them in previous cars without issue too..

I've only read about mongoose on here, but I believe you can get one with a built in turbo timer of that suits you...?

I've got a cyclops one on mine, does the immobiliser and remote locking too.. when the dealer fitted it pre delivery they didn't hook up the alarm side, so it doesn't have a siren. I just found a pcb diagram for it and found which pin was the output for the siren and wired it to the horn so when the alarm goes off the horn just stays on lmao...

Anyway, I've never had a problem with it and have used them in previous cars without issue too..

I've only read about mongoose on here, but I believe you can get one with a built in turbo timer of that suits you...?

Thanks for the reply bods

I edited my post to say I've already got remote central locking and immobiliser and a Bogaard turbo timer which I left that part out originally.

It's another one to keep in mind and do some research on.

Car doesn't come back for a week or so, which means I have some time to do some reading

Cheers

What sort of immobiliser do you have.? Or are you not sure? Onlt reason I ask is it may be possible to do similar to what I did... except you can get a siren instead, lol... mine will wake half the city if someone gets into it lol

Honestly don't know. Have black rectangle remote with small black buttons "I" and "II". "I" locks/unlocks. "II" does nothing I know of.

Little red flashing light on dash rhs of steering column.

Righto... hahahha

The hardest bit with having separate units is making them all work together. .. how handy are you with auto electrics? Reckon you can find the box and see what it is? Or can you put up a pic of the remote?

Righto... hahahha

The hardest bit with having separate units is making them all work together. .. how handy are you with auto electrics? Reckon you can find the box and see what it is? Or can you put up a pic of the remote?

Yeah that's part of the reason for the Mongoose MAP80 model. It works with the existing immobiliser and central locking. And this bloke I spoke to said this Vision unit is the same sort of deal.

The car is in getting fixed but I'll hunt down the spare remote tomorrow.

I think most alarms are much the same. All black wiring and mount the siren in the car not out are my tips. Jaycar do a internal screamer kit. Easy to install and has a delay and warning light. In my opinion you have to make enough noise that the thief can't stand to be near the thing to even think about stealing it.

I think most alarms are much the same. All black wiring and mount the siren in the car not out are my tips. Jaycar do a internal screamer kit. Easy to install and has a delay and warning light. In my opinion you have to make enough noise that the thief can't stand to be near the thing to even think about stealing it.

Cheers. I was planning on that after you suggested it the other day.

Was wondering if any brands are crap and known to fail?

Ok no worries...

Remembered where I put it no digging required.

The one I normally use has smaller black buttons, not grey, but is the same size and shape overall

ForumRunner_20141024_235557.jpg

I did a bit of research and the mongoose m80's rated very high. One of those compact air horn units would go ok bolted under the seat to I reckon.

I did a bit of research and the mongoose m80's rated very high. One of those compact air horn units would go ok bolted under the seat to I reckon.

Yeah the Mongoose 80 models are 5 star rated or something like that, approved by insurance companies, etc.

Hmmm not sure on that, never seen one of them before...

Sounds like you have it under control though. ...

Yeah... But nah lol. I'm just gonna narrow down a model and considering just getting a reasonably priced auto elec to install. May end up doing it myself, just flat out atm

For at home security I have 2 large barking dogs outside, and mine shafts behind the house to dispose of any shall we say evidence

Back