Aftermarket Secondary Fuel Filter For A 2010 Thai Built D40 Automatic

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxtrot16

Reaction score
Hi all, as the title says, I am after an aftermarket secondary fuel filter system to fit to my 2010 Thai built D40 with an auto transmission.

The issue I have is when I go to various sites that sell these they all not 'this kit not suitable for Thai built D40s with the automatic transmission / DPF :(

I have no idea why and it would be great if someone could enlighten me or point me to someone who does sell a kit for my vehicle?

I can only assume that it has something to do with the mounting bracket of the secondary fuel filter.

If someone has mounted a secondary fuel filter to their Thai built 2010 D40 auto - how did you do it and do you have some photos.

Thanks.

Karl

Your assumption is correct. The kits that are generally sold for Navaras use a mounting bracket that won't fit the auto models. I ended up buying a "universal" kit, which has the exact same filter assembly and some hose and fittings but no bracket. I made my own bracket from some left-over 3mm aluminium and mounted it right at the front. See this post.

I have the same vehicle and had the same issue. An ex Nissan mechanic moved the DPF pressure lines under the bonnet a little so that it would fit. It meant cutting and spicing a few wires at the pressure differential sensor (if that is what it is called? ). I will take a photo if where the secondary filter is located when I get a chance although all the DPF stuff seems to have vanished.

Last edited:
Not the best photos as it was pretty dark in the shed. Might give you an idea?

Attachments

• IMG_20211028_070014.jpg
    IMG_20211028_070014.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20211028_064437.jpg
    IMG_20211028_064437.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
Understand your concern there Karl. Only time I have ever been caught out with dud fuel was Carnarvon W.A. many years ago. Had a gut load of water. Maybe consider a water seperator pre fuel filter. Less restriction to.

Reasoning behind my previous post as I know a guy who has an identical Nav to mine (Thai built King Cab) who did add a pre filter to the main and he ended up adding a small electrical fuel pump to avoid surging issues. Works fine but does add more complexity.

Mines a 08, My Delphi pre filter water separator is mounted on the letf chassis rail near the filler under the tray, iv owned this car for over 2 years now always had trouble with bleading the system, always pulling air when the tank got down to 1/3 livel so i would bleed it again. I was removing it to chase the problem to the fuel pick up, found the fuel lines had been installed backwards, i switched them proper, car now runs 100%.just saying.

I change it every 10 000 kms now, my issue is worrying about bad fuel in remote areas of WA where I travel a lot.

Karl

Can understand the concern there. Not trying to be a smart arse at all (and I can definately be slow lol), but what will an extra filter do for you if you get a bad batch of fuel?

Happened to me twice. Both times I got just far enough that I had to limp for a couple hours back out of the scrub just to get to formed roads. Stopping regularly to try pump water out of the filter, which made no difference. Then a few hours to limp home. Then had to drop the tank, empty and clean it, blow out fuel lines and change the filter. I imagine it would be ordinary if you were really a long way from anywhere in the back blocks of WA, but that was the only real fix regardless how many filters I would have had. I can see where the restriction of two filters might have stopped it from running altogether.

I suppose a clear bowl/ water separator could be useful if you get fuel with a little bit more rubbish than normal, but I don't see an extra filter being much use against a real bad batch of fuel?

Last edited:
I bought a large "Mr Funnel" for my trip around OZ as well as having the secondary filter installed. The Mr Funnel was a pain in the arse. Too hard to hold and slow to drain when pumping from the bowser. Also a pain to store so it stays clean. It does do a good job separating water from diesel unless they are well mixed, when it will let water through. I shook a mix of water and diesel in a jar as an experiment.

Nothing much is going to save you if you get a really bad batch of diesel, I run Fuel doctor through my tank helps with small amounts of crud and water. The extra filter can be more trouble than good as it collects small rubbish and builds up. The fuel additive breaks down the crud into small enough particles to go through the engine and burn off.

Latest posts

Back