Adjustable Shocks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old bear

Reaction score
Tough Dog or Rancho adjustables.
Who has these and what's your thoughts?
Good and bad comments about both would be appreciated.
Cheers

Rancho 9000, no problems so far apart from fouling in the chassis on passenger side. My guess is the size of the shock is a tad to big. This hasn't affected the shocks ability to work though.

Koni make them for the D22 as well, about $220 a corner.

Adjustable koni sounds good and that price is not much more than tough dog or rancho. They say bilstein and koni are better than all the rest, I will have to do some research on these. Who sells them for that price?

I have 9 stage Tough Dog Adjustable shocks, I purchased them new & fitted them to my ST-X D40, they did around 50,000kms (Vic High Country, Simpson Desert, Mungo NP, Abercrombie River NP & more).
I then sold the ST-X D40, removed the Tough Dogs and fitted them to my new ST-X 550. She has now done 10,000kms. 1 Vic High Country run.

I personally love them, they work hard, feel solid when they should. Turn them down and the ride is considerably smoother. I have no complaints at all and would def purchase TD's again.

Adjustable koni sounds good and that price is not much more than tough dog or rancho. They say bilstein and koni are better than all the rest, I will have to do some research on these. Who sells them for that price?

There is just 1 caveat that you have to put up with Koni, to adjust them you have to remove them (turn and click system or something), no little switches to break off, Bilstein make a great shock to, had them on my first car just you have to be careful with a monotube...

I am a bit of a snob but wouldn't fit anything else to my truck.

My Rancho 9000's have that dint.

Joshy, is your dint up top near the top shock mount. You can see where it rubs on the chassis aswell. part from that I have a 5c piece size rock dent aswell from cape trip and shock perform perfectly still. I was thinking of going toughdog up front when the upper arms go in.

Got the same problem with mine, it's more like a side squash from the chassis rail, I'd say from all the flexing, but still operates great!

Joshy, is your dint up top near the top shock mount. You can see where it rubs on the chassis aswell. part from that I have a 5c piece size rock dent aswell from cape trip and shock perform perfectly still. I was thinking of going toughdog up front when the upper arms go in.

Yeah mate, exactly where it is, but only on the passenger side. I like the Rancho shocks, I've got them sitting at "5" and find that to be quite comfortable.

Who can tell me open and closed lengths of their rancho 9000 shocks that they have on their D22? Mine is a 2012 model- standard shocks were open-530 closed-320. The sax (prime xp) were open-590 closed-380. When i enquired about Tough Dog today, the shocks they can supply would be 20mm smaller than the sax, so closed-360 open-570. A bit confused on what length is going to be suitable.

I have Tough Dog 9 stage adjustables.
I have had them for 20k km and love the ride loaded and unloaded and turn them down offroad on the rocky bumpy crap and still pretty smooth.

Put the nav up on hoist today and pulled shocks off and let the rear end hang right down and measurement between shock mounts was 550. Fully compressed back up to bump stops was 360. Tough dog shocks are fully compressed 360 and fully extended are 570 so they should have enough travel. Have ordered them.

Tough Dog adjustables in the back, really good.

Do they squeak?? i thought it was my leafs but now not sure. found the rear p/s was hard up against the chassis so spaced it out thought that would fix my squeak but didnt. know im thinking the top plastic cover is scrapping up and down the bottom of the shockie body causing the problem.
who puts a plastic cover on a shock ffs

Latest posts

Back