Accident!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure you get a second opinion and get the chassis tested to check if it's bent. Instantly written off.

Negative, they can straighten them if it isn't too bad

Correct. I had a head on off road with a quad bike, $15k of damage to the front and roof of the ute. I pushed for a write off, they said nope too bad it will be repaired.

Insurance companies are f@(#ed. Bottom dollar, save a couple of cents to repair rather than write off. In my personal experience and of those I know if you have 2 quotes that declare it well within write off terms and they have one that will bring it under repair quota they will repair.

My old man had a late model Senator, had a stack border line write off, assessor chose to repair, blew out by 10k over repair estimate (which well and truly put it in write off territory). When my dad argued this they said bad luck, already begun repairing. They told him the car would not be devalued by the extensive repairs to the chassis and structural elements, he ended up getting that in writing.

Three weeks after he got it back, t boned someone who came through a stop sign. Write off job, insurance company said that because of the extensive repairs from the previous accident it was valued less than agreed value. My dad brought up the letter the insurance company had written and they said it was irrelevant. Went to the ombudsman, came out 1500 under agreed value.

Suncorp looking after their customers.

Sorry to hear. All the best mate. Hope you get a good outcome.

Anything can be repaired, just how much it cost and time willing to put into it.

I had a head-on accident 110kmh the repairer who was the tower as well wanted to repair it.
6 month old wrangler.
Good my ground and the assessor gave in and wrote it off.
we could not wait 6-8 weeks for it to be repaired plus the issue of rattles and squeaks after such a beg repair.

Hey guys!

Thanks for the kind words. It was a big hit, and shook us both. Glad the other car didn't have a passenger.

I got a call from a repairer and he is convinced he can fix it. To be honest, being such a new truck, I would want it written off. I don't want to be dealing with niggly issues because of repairs, not to mention my wife is too shook up to get in the truck again.

I'm going to try to push my insurance company to total loss it, so that I can just move on to another vehicle and be done with it. If it was a smaller hit I can understand, but being such a big hit, I dont want a repair job.
After reading some of the seriously mis informed comments on here, thought I might give my 2 bobs worth. Im a licensed smash repairer and been in the industry 20 years. Im no fan of the way the big insurers operate these days. However you should only listen to facts.-

Chassis can be repaired. Modern chassis are made of whats termed 'Ultra high strength steel' - This can be straightened as long as no heat is used (oxy acetylene torch). Heating destroys the structure of the steel.

Most vehicle body sections are easily repairable, with manufacturers providing replacement sections. When repaired to manufactures specs, there should be no issue. From the pictures it looks as no major structural sections (pillars, firewall, body floor) have been damaged.
$50000 is alot of parts and labour.

They wont tell you this but its in the assessors personal favour to write the car off as the cost wont go against his tally of annual repairs authorised. If it is repaired for say $30000 its in his budget. If its written off its excluded. (Sounds obsurd but its how the insurers get assessors to keep costs down by averaging repair costs).

Im not sure where you live but there is a company called IVIC inspections in sydney and melboure. Insurers and repairs shit themselves when you tell them your taking your car there to be inspected once the repairs are complete. Ivic hate insurance companies and the poor repair quality going around. They charge around 900 but bill the insurere if they find anything wrong. Check their website.

Cheers.

Back