Accessing the Manual Levers on a winch fitted to a Nissan Factory Steel Bullbar?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
I've managed to get my hands on a Nissan Factory Steel Bar (winch compatible). With this I've noticed that when mounting the winch, that it mounts vertically with the rope coming out the bottom side.

My Question is: With winches that have the manual control levers fitted, how do you access the levers when the winch is vertically mounted?

Most of the winches I've seen mounted to other peoples cars are mounted horizontally with the levers at the top of the winch for easy access. My concern with a vertical mounted winch is how do u access these levers...... unless the levers can be repositioned ???

I've attached a couple of pics of the bar.... Do I have to punch out some of the holes on the bar itself? (see pics)

Do I need to punch out any of these:
GenuineNissanNavaraD22Bullbar006.jpg

GenuineNissanNavaraD22Bullbar007.jpg

I gather the winch mounts vertically:
GenuineNissanNavaraD22Bullbar009.jpg

GenuineNissanNavaraD22Bullbar008.jpg

any advice would be much appreciated......

rob

Last edited:
G'day,

I just mounted a Tigerz11 Grande 12,000lb to my D40 Nissan Bar, it was a straight forward process though as you found, the mount doesn't match the winch nicely, I had to take the clutch off the winch then undo the little screws inside allowing me to rotate the clutch to have the lever up the top with easy access.

Hope this helps

The levers can be repositioned however mine is vertically mounted and I can still acess it even with my massaive hands.

In addition to above, I punched the top holes (the ones you can punch out) only to feed the cables from the control box to the winch and battery. I mounted my control box on the bar in between the lights.

Thanks 4 that, looks good..... interesting to see the differences....I see yours is mounted horizontally to. Mines got to be mounted vertically plus mine doesn't have the big openings in the bar for easy access to the levers. Is your bar a factory one?

I've only got small slots in the front of the bar which I'm not sure if I could fit my hand in to reach the levers....

Anyone else have pics to show that will also help give me an idea??

Yeah it's a Nissan Bar which i had installed before I picked it up, for the winch I had to move the clutch to that position, If i had've left it how it came out of the box the lever would've been at the back of the winch and a pain to get to.

what sort of winch is it?

If you're referring to me, I don't actually have one yet, but will be getting one since I now have a bar to install one into.... Just looking at the way u have to mount the winch on my bar got me wondering as to how u access the manual lever, but I've since been told u can rotate the housing to re-position the levers to what ever position u want..... not sure if this applies to ALL types of winches though.....
By looking at it I might have to punch out the tabs on top of the bar to access the levers.....

you can rotate the housings on any winch, generally they have instructions on how to do it with them. i have an xrox bar on mine and had to rotate the housing because the handle was in the wrong spot but i have a nice cutout to access it through the bar...

Tigerz 12000lb winch mounted on a standard Nissan bull bar. I rotated gear box so I can adjust clutch through the hole, easy as, and a gloved hand fits through.

Attachments

• image-810711969.jpg
    image-810711969.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 127
  • image-83980554.jpg
    image-83980554.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 139
I think you will find yours mounts horizontal. The round tabs at the top are for the winch lever and the long one is to see the winch cable.
I have never heard of a vertical mount. I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong. Hope this is helpful. Cheers Brett

I've managed to get my hands on a Nissan Factory Steel Bar (winch compatible). With this I've noticed that when mounting the winch, that it mounts vertically with the rope coming out the bottom side.

My Question is: With winches that have the manual control levers fitted, how do you access the levers when the winch is vertically mounted?

Most of the winches I've seen mounted to other peoples cars are mounted horizontally with the levers at the top of the winch for easy access. My concern with a vertical mounted winch is how do u access these levers...... unless the levers can be repositioned ???

I've attached a couple of pics of the bar.... Do I have to punch out some of the holes on the bar itself? (see pics)

Do I need to punch out any of these:
GenuineNissanNavaraD22Bullbar006.jpg

GenuineNissanNavaraD22Bullbar007.jpg

I gather the winch mounts vertically:
GenuineNissanNavaraD22Bullbar009.jpg

GenuineNissanNavaraD22Bullbar008.jpg

any advice would be much appreciated......

rob

Tigerz 12000lb winch mounted on a standard Nissan bull bar. I rotated gear box so I can adjust clutch through the hole, easy as, and a gloved hand fits through.

Thanks for that Pix.... after almost completing the fitting of my factory bar, it makes more sense that u will have to rotate the handle so u can access it via one of the holes either side of where the cable comes through

I think you will find yours mounts horizontal. The round tabs at the top are for the winch lever and the long one is to see the winch cable.
I have never heard of a vertical mount. I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong. Hope this is helpful. Cheers Brett

Brett.... I think u need to re-look through the whole thread again and look at the pics attached. I think u will find that the wiinch has to mount vertically and those tabs are where u mount the control box, etc.....

Pix.... Do u have any close-ups of how u mounted the control box and how the cables come up into the box?

Would be much appreciated so I can get an idea of how it all comes together....

rob

Latest posts

Back