2012 D22 and an 18ft caravan

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasja5

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i need some advice on whether or not it will get me around Australia. If so is there anything i can do to improve towing performance.The dealer says it is capable of the trip, but I would like your feedback good or bad. thx

Absolutely, yes. You're looking at hauling something just over half the vehicle's towing capacity. You might be down on kW and torque compared to the D40s but the D22 is still very capable. Just take it easy, always use lower gears to climb and descent hills and you won't have a problem.

The van in my sig is an 18ft van, the photo is on the Ernest Giles Rd in central Australia. I don't use anywhere near the full power of my car - it's very, very rare that I use full throttle at all, even when I am stopped at the lights next to a Hilux (because I don't have to use all of it).

Just enjoy the trip. Fitting a long range fuel tank is almost essential - we had to put some extra fuel in on the SA/NT border after refuelling at Marla before we got our LongRanger (ARB) tank. Won't have to worry about that again, although the new van we're picking up (this coming Friday, can't wait!!!) is a little heavier - 19ft long, 2550kg - I had thought it was going to be 2.7T but we spoke with the handover guy who assured us that the axle group is capable of 2750kg but the van will be rated for 2550kg unless we ask for an increase in capacity (we won't - 400kg is more than enough crap to carry around!).

I have an 18" jayco sterling pop top and have no trouble towing it with my 2011 d22.
Go for it.

I own a d22 and tow a camper trailer
cars kerb weight is approx. 2800 kg without trailer
trailer approx. 700 kg?
fully loaded and fuelled I struggle on hills and really chew through the diesel
it does the job but I wouldn't tow a van around Australia with it
its just too underpowered imo

Handy layout Tony, with the sink outside the ensuite. This is the layout of ours:

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2013-04-04-at-10_33_33-AM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2013-04-04-at-10_33_33-AM.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 92
Nice layout, Doc. Those bunks look like they're easier to get to than ours, and they'd have longer windows too.

Our van is home right now, leaving her hitched up so we can take her on her first outing tomorrow to Coopernook State Forest.

For those that have been at our place already, you'll probably spot the changes - I've been hard at work - but here she is out the front.

attachment.php

We've ordered the Clearview mirrors, which I'll attack with my Dremel and install puddle lights into when they get here.

Once I've got them, anyone who wants a free set of truck mirrors (as you can see on the side of the car above) is welcome to them.

Attachments

• 20140214_194536-resized.jpg
    20140214_194536-resized.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 198
looking good mate
ile get up and see you soon
its been hectic for me the last few weeks, BIG changes about to happen in my working and motoring life
chat soon

Mate, when you guys wander down to Tassie next, we'll catch up. Every van has its own merits I reckon, and you have been eyeballing and envying those "New Age" vans for a few years now :)

I could certainly use them tony, are you in Brisbane. Thanks for the advice also.

Doesn't anybody tow a caravan with a D22 who has some advice?????????????????

Doesn't anybody tow a caravan with a D22 who has some advice?????????????????
I do mate i tow 900kgs daily and my van sits on about 1.6 tonne with 200 ltrs of water in the tanks and about 400-500kg in the tub it does it with ease when it was new and before i did the motor and turbo mods i did a 1400km trip it pulled well in places you would like more poke and passing b doubles uphill was an experience but for the money it will do the job mine tare is only 2.1tonne on my d22 some with all the bar work and more accs weigh up to 2.8 tonne then they fit bigger wheels that's when it will struggle all the best mate.
John

T y Happy John, please guys I am relying on us D22 owners so i can make some decisions.

We pull(when we can get away) a 1.5 ton camper trailer and it is quite capable in doing that.

Caveat, if you want to drive at 110km/hr, then you will chew the juice, around 15l/100kms, but if you take it easy, it is ~13l/100kms.

Absolutely no problem pulling up steep hills, we just drop it down gears and drive. Definitely faster than heavy trucks climbing the same hill.

I assume you are getting electric braking on the van and not overide.

Gawd Terry, I bloody hope so too - an 18' van is going to be 1500Kg empty, up to 1.8/1.9T full or thereabouts, and with override brakes it's going to thump them on every downhill and every set of traffic lights.

Latest posts

Back