Automatic transmission cooling fan

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damienpansini

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased a caravan and it will be towed by my 2012 Navara D40 ST-X V6 diesel. (115 000kms on the clock)

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on whether I will need a cooling system on my automatic transmission. I live in Australia and will eventually be driving in days reaching up to 40 degrees Celsius.

Thanks
Damien
West Aus

i would.
not only to cool the trans better but it reduces heat going into the motor. however you do need to mount them correctly.

Hi all,

I recently purchased a caravan and it will be towed by my 2012 Navara D40 ST-X V6 diesel. (115 000kms on the clock)

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on whether I will need a cooling system on my automatic transmission. I live in Australia and will eventually be driving in days reaching up to 40 degrees Celsius.

Thanks
Damien
West Aus
You already have a transmission cooler radiator, it is in front of the normal radiator so gets good airflow.

The ATF circuit also runs through the engine cooling radiator (it helps keep the ATF temperature between 90 and 95)

It would be a good move to take off the grille and make sure the ATF cooler is free of any debris.

Last edited:
Actually...
The bottom of the radiator is well below 50 DegC normally. You can hold it comfortably with the engine up to temp[ (i.e. drive it for 30 mins then try touching the bottom hose). I bypassed the ATF oil pipe from the radiator, and it made the trans temp worse.
I know this because i measure not only my trans temp, but I have a temp sensor in the bottom hose (radiator outlet). Only time I see it past 50 is when it is working very hard (i.e. towing van) up hill.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back