ZD30 Timing Setup

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig6789

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have just had to rebuild a ZD30 in my navara because of the dreaded pistons cracking and the head cracking, well when getting the head off i found in piston number 3 there was a hole under the lip of the piston that goes right through to the piston rings. i was pretty shocked when i saw that. Also the head was cracked across every glow plug. Anyways Long story short im now back at the stage of setting up the timing for the cams. Has anyone done this before? Im not 100% sure about this, I have cylinder 1 at TDC and cylinder 4 is also at TDC. The marks on the cam gear have to match the marks on the Idler gear on the head (AA to A and BB to B) but it just seems as though as i bolt the cams down one of the valves may open in Cylinder 4. My engine reconditioner has said it may look like this because the teeth on the cam gear and the idler gear have teeth that are at a 45 degree angle to the Front to rear Orientation of the motor (if that makes sence) as i bolt down the cams the cams will coinsidently turn slightly.. up to about 1/16th of a rotation so about 22.5 degrees. Is this correct and will all in turn work out? I will take cylinder 1 and 4 off TDC as i bolt down and then turn back to setup timing chain. Has anyone else done this and know what i mean and offer some much needed advice at all?

Thanks in advance
Craig

Latest posts

Back