ZD30 engine problem, shutting down.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300win

Reaction score
Hopefully you can help, i have a 2003 d22 with the zd30 motor. I have had the warning light flash, drained the water trap but then had the motor stop completely. After replacing fuel filter, it runs at a fast idle for ~40 minutes then shuts down.
I have put some clear line post filter/primer pump and i am getting a few small air bubbles still , is this the problem?

Yep primed the pump, brand new primer/fuel filter assembly and new filter.

It was throwing codes, p7 fuel pump timing, now no codes. just shuts down. ~40 min at fast idle with no load or a short drive around and it will stutter then shut down. After shutting down now, only get 0505 so no codes.

Last edited:
Just sounds like air in it the lines to me.

Are you letting it idle for 40 mins at a time ? How fast idle wise ?

Dave.

you didn't bump the heat switch on ?

you have to fix the air leak. if its got bubbles in it the timing gets screwed up and throws the pump timing error code.

No was deliberatley running it fast trying to get it to stop.
After replacing the whole primer,filter,waterdrain (including the o ring) any other place it could be sucking the air from?

where is the clear hose fitted?

fit it before the filter, make sure its bubble free going in. then fit it after the filter. if bubbles you know its filter related.
finally fit it after the pump. it can suck air through the injector return line.

thanks for your help so far.
Just got the vechile brought back home on the back of a truck.
To make absolutely certain no air in the line i have placed the whole filter assembly in a drum of diesel, then clear line to the pump. The return from the pump is also clear.

I am still having the same engine shutting down ~40min after starting and running at fast idle (heat switch on). Just before it shuts down i get a few misses, there is no air in any of the lines.

I usually get a 707 (pump timing error) code after one of these items.
Sometimes i only get the 505 (no problem) code.

Any other suggestions?

assuming no fuel blockage then i would say fuel pump failure. i understand the timing advance wears and then connot achieve timing hence the error.

couple of things tho.........is neutral switch working? ie heatswitch works.

also check crank sensor and timing chains. its possible the high rpm is from crank sensor problem and timing errors can result from to mismatch between pump timing compared to crank timing (eg sensor erratic or timings chains loose).

The fast idle is deliberate, i am using the heat switch.. and it works fine, i can turn it on and off and the idle speed changes.
It seems that the time it runs is related to heat. If you let it cool down, then you can start it again. But the time it runs is reduced when compared to starting from dead cold (leaving it overnight)
It also appears to hunt with the timing as it is missing so that maybe the problem
All this on a motor with 90,000km....

Last edited:
if crank sensor is fine then its new pump time :(
cutting out when hot is likely to be the pump. either the pump ecu is going faulty when it heats up or the timing section is worn. hopefully its just the ecu as thats easier/cheaper to fix.
sadly it only takes one tank of crap fuel to stuff the pump up :(

one small thing i remember from way back. nothing to do with pump problem but a person who had random shut down problems found some idiot had fitted ball bearings in the vac hose.
worth a look.

well it seems it is definately related to temperature. I fitted a hydraulic cooler to the fuel inlet to the pump, it ran for 3 hours. Time to take it out for a drive tommorow and see. Any ideas of cost or if it is possible to replace the ecu on the pump without striping the pump ?

Latest posts

Back