zd30 Belt Noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha well there ya go ay! Good to hear she's quiet, hopefully it lasts longer than mine! Cheers!

No i havnt yet. It goes quiet as soon as i spray some shit on the belt everytime though. Just picked up a Dayco belt on my way home - $85. I passed on the Dayco tensioner at 300 clams though.
Bit scared of taking the belt off - looks very tight in there and cant see the hex head on the tensioner with the naked eye. Any tips or tricks while i build up some courage over a couple beers? I believe a long breaker bar is needed...?
Might even swing past the mechanics with the belt during the week and see if they can do it while im there.

They didnt change the chain or anything else behind the timing case by the way. They reckoned it was all good in there. Still cost me 3k.

It is not difficult to do but is best done is work from below , you must release the lower bolt 19mm and turn to release the tensioner and release the belt, then you roll the belt around the fan blades to take it out.

I have the same problem time to time for buy cheap belts that stretch easy so I preffer to use OEM Nissan belt P/N 11720-VC1X3 (7PK1640) and once I replace the hidraulic tensioner aswel P/N 11750-2W21A. Cheers

Thanks Terrano. Great info and future reference. I went from underneath last night with a 19mm was pretty easy. The tensioner - does that work on oil pressure?

Thanks Terrano. Great info and future reference. I went from underneath last night with a 19mm was pretty easy. The tensioner - does that work on oil pressure?

No prob man! Yes it does When mine fails the shity noise was all the time I also put water and sort of WD40 but last some minutes to the noise come back then change the for a new OEM belt but the noise comes time to time, so I knew then that the tensioner is not working well. after that I put some metal shime in to the alternator bolts to give more tension while I spect the new tensioner comes from Japan.

Inside the tensioner is a heavy compression spring, its not hydraulic, although it does have oil to lubricate the the sleeves.

Modern belts are made from EPDM, they last forever and have very litttle stretch, but get a drop of oil or coolant on them and they will squeak forever and nothing but replacing it will get rid of the noise.

Ah ok. Good insight.
I think the reason my belt went noisy after getting it back from the mechanics was maybe they put the 220k belt on the other way, or they got shit on it. I was picking something that looked suspiciously like gasket goo out of the tracks. The tension seems fine.

Latest posts

Back