wont rev above 3 grand

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawrence

Reaction score
hi all i have just brought a 2001 navara 2.5 turbo diesel it was sitting a while befor i brought it when you start up she sounds loverly without missing any beat but when you rev up it stops at 3000 revs and it almost like its bouncing of the limater or chocking cause it produces some smoke i have changed the fuel filter and still happens hope someone can help many thanks karl

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know about the ECU from back in those days, so if there's a fault that has triggered it into limiting the rpm (like the new ones do) I couldn't say - you might check if your engine warning light is on.

If it's not the ECU, there could be a few things to check.

Insufficient air flow will inhibit the engine's ability to combust the fuel. You will see lots of smoke and may even be able to smell unburnt diesel in the exhaust pipe (once you have turned the engine off). Check the air cleaner, and the hoses going to it (including the snorkel and the joins through the guard).

I don't know if your engine has an EGR valve, but maybe that's stuck - it should close at high throttle, and if it doesn't there's a chance it will over-inhibit the combustion process.

You might have a restriction in the exhaust but I'd be looking at the air intake first.

There might be an issue with the injectors, or fuel rail pressure - but let's take a look at the items that don't cost anything to check first!

thanks i have taken the egr valve of and cleand it and seems too be working fine i forgot too menthion when you hold th throtle down at it only goes too 3000 reves if you push the primer ontop of the fuel filter a few times while on the reves it will rev right round many thanks karl

It sounds like it could be a fuel pump issue perhaps? When you press the primer bulb, it will increase the pressure in the fuel system.

It may just be air in the system. With the engine turned off, is the primer bulb easy to press?

na when you prime it up it gets too a point were you can not push it anymore but when engine is running you can push more fuel through

It is starting to sound like a pump that isn't delivering enough fuel pressure. The manual says to hook up a Consult-II to check, but that may not work with a 2001 model. I guess you will need to get that to a mechanic to check it.

what navara do you have? d40 or d22?

if revs can go up after pressing the fuel primer then i suspect you either have a fuel blockage or most likly an air leak. common place is filter and primer.

Bump.

Answer these questions.

If its a TD25TI, its the banjo filter in the injection pump.

Dont be like so many other ignorant Poms and remove it and leave it out.

Its there for a reason.

I posted this response since you asked the same question in the chat box.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back