Winding down sound, during slowing down / stopping

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodge

Reaction score
Hey fellas.
I've got a concerning, winding down sound when i'm slowing down. Best i can describe it is, if you imagine loud muddies on the road, with big fat thread, coming to a stop, but only smoother. If that made sense. That sort of whirring sound. I can't pin-point where it's coming from, but at a guess i'd say up front somewhere.

But it isn't my tyres, i only got 4-rib allterrains, which are loud at speed, but not while i'm crawling to a stop. It's not the brakes either, since i've had the car come to a halt without braking and sound was still there...

Should i be looking at front diff? transfer case ? I had a quick look, and as far as my mechanical knowledge stretches i can't find or see anything unusual.

If it gives any hints, at a guess, i'd say it started after i got my steel rims fitted. I'm pretty certain it wasn't there before. 20+ off-set so they're correct and i don't have any rubbing. And the car hasn't been off-road or anything hard at all since.

Any hints would be most appreciated, otherwise i'll take it to the shop.

Mine has 5000km and is standard i have a similar noise has always been there. could be a different noise but

If its the same noise im thinking of, mines had it since new.

A soft whining noise in the lower gears when slowing down, similar to the sound of straight cut gears or something.

I dont know what it is but i kinda like it, and have always assumed it was normal?

Id be interested to hear anyones insight on this...

Mine had a similar sound. Turned out to be the rear wheel bearings. Good mechanic should be able to tell once the car is on a hoist. Bearings were cheaper from Nissan than aftermarket WTF. Took mechanic about 1.5 to 2 hours to change both sides. Mine had done about 200K when the noise presented.

Front dif wont me moving unless you have the stick in 4wd or you have the hubs locked in. I would say check the wheel bearings.

Latest posts

Back