Who rides bikes and what are they

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T
Hopefully not! I suspect a broken wire, which I should be able to repair with silversolder and some copper wire binding (only a small amount so I don't create too much imbalance in the thing).
Thought it may have given an inkling of what you did in your former life.
Since I dropped the starter motor armature from my old car onto the concrete floor, I tend not to open such things. Perhaps I should have been working at ground level rather than Black & Decker Workmate height?
At least the brand new one was smaller and easier to install.

T
Thought it may have given an inkling of what you did in your former life.
Since I dropped the starter motor armature from my old car onto the concrete floor, I tend not to open such things. Perhaps I should have been working at ground level rather than Black & Decker Workmate height?
At least the brand new one was smaller and easier to install.

No magical electrical engineering degree behind me, unfortunately.

I did work a little while in the chicken processing room at Inghams. I had the (somewhat) enviable task of picking up the scraps from the floor in the cutting room and putting them in the pet food bin. The skills I learned in that job have helped me with absolutely bloody nothing at all!

I may or may not have had other occupations over the years, but I won't admit to anything.

2017 KTM Duke 390. Small, but perfect for getting around my small country town, and short hops to the next. Lots of fun, sort of supermoto-ish. With petrol as dear as it is, makes a cheap transport option too!

"Recent"previous bikes Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (636), and Suzuki DRZ-400SM.

No magical electrical engineering degree behind me, unfortunately.

I did work a little while in the chicken processing room at Inghams. I had the (somewhat) enviable task of picking up the scraps from the floor in the cutting room and putting them in the pet food bin. The skills I learned in that job have helped me with absolutely bloody nothing at all!

I may or may not have had other occupations over the years, but I won't admit to anything.
Many many moons ago I did a work visit to the Ingham plant at Somerville. Ahhhhh the memory of the smell and blood.

Keeping on the bike topic, we also have an 80's vintage Yamaha YFM 350 Moto 4. The old girl smokes like crazy but oil is relatively cheap. That one is up for a new battery.
The battery prior was near new when it was cooked by a smart charger I bought as a discontinued line from Super*&@%.
With infrequent use, it's hard for me keeping these small batteries in good order.
Not sure how I could do that on the tiny 6v battery in the AG100, that I probably never will replace.

Many many moons ago I did a work visit to the Ingham plant at Somerville. Ahhhhh the memory of the smell and blood.

Keeping on the bike topic, we also have an 80's vintage Yamaha YFM 350 Moto 4. The old girl smokes like crazy but oil is relatively cheap. That one is up for a new battery.
The battery prior was near new when it was cooked by a smart charger I bought as a discontinued line from Super*&@%.
With infrequent use, it's hard for me keeping these small batteries in good order.
Not sure how I could do that on the tiny 6v battery in the AG100, that I probably never will replace.

If they're stored inside the task is a little harder.

I've got 4x AGM batteries in my bike trailer, and because of infrequent use I chose to put a pair of those 10W solar panels on the top so the batteries can stay topped up. It's only just enough power to keep the batteries at float voltage. I do intend to put a larger panel on at some point (in the not-too-distant future) so that the batteries can recharge, not just maintain charge.

The bike's battery is maintained by a small charger that I use infrequently and remove once it's done. It's a 20Ah AGM that cost me too much to allow it to suffer from neglect!

Here's my Crotch Rocket.
Yamaha FZ1S (raven black). Lots of subtle mods & upgrades.
Over 10 years old now but I still love it. Insanely fast & very versatile. Have done lots multi-day touring. And the odd track day once upon a time.

20210215_071726.jpg

20180224_150329.jpg

20210217_090626.jpg

One of the best upgrades I have is a lithium battery.
The OEM Yuasa hung on thru years of abuse and storage ....but when it finally quit I was lucky enough to get a good price on the lithium.
I don't worry about the battery anymore. Even if the bike sits for months - it starts perfectly every time. And there's a bonus weight reduction too.
(of course now that I've typed this, guess what will happen next Sunday morning :rolleyes::D)

I've fixed my alternator again, took the panels off the old girl, removed the alternator, stripped it down, fixed the stator, rebuilt it and reinstalled it. Total time about 1.5 hours.

I prepared the ends of the broken wire, then tinned both ends with silver solder (had to use my 150W iron to melt that stuff). I then positioned the two ends next to each other and put a small amount of solder on the (small) gap. Let it cool, then tested it by smacking it with a screwdriver. No sign of it coming apart. After install, it's working and charging the battery nicely. Bike's back on the mains charger for a while, I'll take her out for a run tomorrow.

I've fixed my alternator again, took the panels off the old girl, removed the alternator, stripped it down, fixed the stator, rebuilt it and reinstalled it. Total time about 1.5 hours.

I prepared the ends of the broken wire, then tinned both ends with silver solder (had to use my 150W iron to melt that stuff). I then positioned the two ends next to each other and put a small amount of solder on the (small) gap. Let it cool, then tested it by smacking it with a screwdriver. No sign of it coming apart. After install, it's working and charging the battery nicely. Bike's back on the mains charger for a while, I'll take her out for a run tomorrow.
Clever.
All functioning correctly?

Clever.
All functioning correctly?

Perfectly, so far. I need a volt meter to monitor it - she's an old girl (1996) and doesn't have one built in, so I've only been able to tell the thing has stopped when the engine starts coughing.

Time will tell. Going for a decent ride on Saturday, will take a spare battery for Justin, but I think I made the joint strong enough (and with a very small amount of solder, so the weight of the repair shouldn't be an issue).

Perfectly, so far. I need a volt meter to monitor it - she's an old girl (1996) and doesn't have one built in, so I've only been able to tell the thing has stopped when the engine starts coughing.

Time will tell. Going for a decent ride on Saturday, will take a spare battery for Justin, but I think I made the joint strong enough (and with a very small amount of solder, so the weight of the repair shouldn't be an issue).
Justin is the bike?

Latest posts

Back